Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
P6325a
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Computer was slow today and shut itself down then restarted. Upon restart I got a black screen saying hard drive failure imminent, back up immediately but every time I try to open file explorer to transfer files to external hard drive it hangs and does nothing and I have to restart only to have the same problem. How do I backup without using file explorer? Can I do it when I enter in F10 mode?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

That is a difficult call. When a hard disk goes, it just goes.

You can't backup a hard disk from the BIOS. F10 is the BIOS.

If you can't back it up with File Explorer there isn't much you can do.

You could send it to a data recovery company which won't guarantee a recovery and spend lots of money.

It is your choice.

The issue you are facing is why I have a NAS on my home network.  

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

That is a difficult call. When a hard disk goes, it just goes.

You can't backup a hard disk from the BIOS. F10 is the BIOS.

If you can't back it up with File Explorer there isn't much you can do.

You could send it to a data recovery company which won't guarantee a recovery and spend lots of money.

It is your choice.

The issue you are facing is why I have a NAS on my home network.  

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended
OK. Not what I wanted to hear but thanks for the quick reply. What's a NAS?
HP Recommended

Network attached storage is what the acronym NAS stands for.

I use a Synology 2015j NAS  with a wifi 802.11n dongle to connect to my home network. 

HP Recommended
Oh OK. So external storage without being physically plugged in to the pc? Thanks for the tip.
HP Recommended
U can download a live linux cd and can boot ur pc from a usb by f9
HP Recommended

Don't really understand that, sounds a bit beyond my skills!

HP Recommended

Download the puppy Linux iso file from the given link

Spoiler

Now download Rufus fro the given link

Spoiler

You need a working computer to do the next task

After Downloading the files insert a pendrive into the working PC 

open the rufus and locate the .iso file and select your usb and click start ...... If u have any problem then refer to this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5Sljmi19aM

and after creating the bootable usb

boot your pc from the usb 

HP Recommended

now connect ur USB to your non-working computer

when u open ur system 

u have to rapidly tap f9 or f12 or f11 or del (try all until u found change boot priority, where u can see your USB name) select ur USB to boot

after booting

browse the files from the hard disk which u want to backup and copy them to an external storage like ur Pendrive

Spoiler
if u like my job then press the blue or orange button

:Wink: have a nice day :HeartEyes:

HP Recommended
Wouldn't even boot up so bought a new hard drive for $55 in the end. My friend now has my old one to get my photos off it.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.