Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I recently purchased a HP15-r085nd (Win 8.1 with Bing), and right out of the box I experienced this problem:

After waking up from sleep mode (usually after the very first time of waking up from sleep mode, but always after the second time), the process 'System interrupts' has high CPU usage, up to 45%. The laptop then responds very, very slow. Also, in Internet Explorer (but only in Internet Explorer, it seems!) keystrokes are missing out.

I tried the following:

-Implemented all Windows updates, all McAfee updates and all HP Assistent updates. No result.

-Reinstalled all drivers, no result. Windows system restore: no result. Factory reset from recovery partition: no result. Then implemented all updates again: no result.

-I tried to use Microsoft Xperf to diagnose the problem: it seems to blame wdf0100.sys for the high CPU usage. (That is, if I interpreted the results in the right way.)

-I then did some troubleshooting with Microsoft Support: they asked me to disable all startup items in the Task manager, and disable all non-Microsoft services in msconfig. The result was that the high cpu usage of 'System Interrupts' occured less frequently after the first time of coming out of sleep mode, but still it always occured after the second time of waking up out of sleep mode. Uninstalling McAfee seems to have the same effect, by the way.

-I then did some troubleshooting with the store were I bought it. They used a driver program to install some newer versions of drivers. Also to no avail.

They then gave me another laptop of the same model (r085nd). This one had exactly the same problems. So I suspect that ALL laptops of this model have the same issue! Does anyone know of a similar case with a similar laptop?

-I then did some troubleshooting with HP Support. We updated the BIOS (F.24), without result. We did some additional driver updates from the HP Website, no result. We wanted to update the Intel HD Graphics driver (sp65598), but we couldn't install it, getting an error message saying minimum system requirements weren't met.

I hope HP support can come up with a solution (they wanted to look further into it). If so, I'll promise to post it here, as it probably affects other HP r085nd's as well.

In the mean while I'd appreciate any suggestions, as I am totally clueless now. Anyone any ideas? I'll answer any replies!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I have been contacted by HP Support again. After another round of updates that included some very new updates from the HP website, the problem with high CPU usage by 'System interrupts' is solved!

We did several updates, so I am not sure which exactly solved the problem, but these are the ones:

- New BIOS firmware: version F.33  (my bet would be this is the one that solved the problem)

- New Intel-chipset driver: 1.20 A (sp69575.exe)

- New Intel HD Graphics driver: 1.20 A (sp69589.exe): 10.18.10.3958 (tried this one earlier, without solving the issue)

- New Realtek card reader driver: 1.20Ap3 (sp69610.exe)

I hope this helps other people with the same problem.

Many thanks to the HP Support team for all their help with this issue!!!

By the way, the issue with missing keystrokes in Internet Explorer (the higher the CPU usage (no matter for what reason), the more keystrokes are not registered!) still exists! I work around this issue by using Google Chrome. Still, I hope this issue might get solved as well! I will nevertheless mark this thread as 'Solved' as the main issue is solved.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi @AdJ1 

I have just sent you a private message. If you are not sure how to check your forum messages, this post has instructions.

Malygris1
I work on behalf of HP
Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click Kudos Thumbs Up on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Thanks a lot, Malygris1, I sent an email with info as you suggested.

In addition to my opening post:

Missing keystrokes:

-The missing keystrokes in Internet Explorer issue appeared to be not related directly to the 'System Interrupts' issue. It is related to CPU usage in general. The more CPU usage by any  processes, the more keystrokes are missed.

-This missing keystrokes issue might have to do with the graphics driver. Some people report updating the graphics driver solved the issue for them. Unfortunately, it didn't for me (see below). A workaround is to click on the 'Tools' button, then on 'Internet options', then on the 'Advanced' tab. In the settings, look for 'Accelerated graphics', and check the option 'Use software rendering instead of GPU rendering'. This seemed to greatly reduce the problem for me (it didn't entirely eliminate it). Another workaround is obviously to use an other browser. Chrome worked perfectly for me.

High CPU usage System interrupts (this is the more severe issue!):

-I now managed to update the Intel HD Graphics driver. I first removed the old driver (10.18.10.3408), so the Microsoft Basic Dispay Adapter got in place. I tested with this driver first, but the issue of high CPU usage of System interrupts after first or second wake up from sleep mode remained the same. I then manually installed newer drivers: I tried one from the HP website (10.18.10.3496), and one from the Intel website (10.18.10.3958). With both drivers the issue remained the same, unfortunately.

-I then disabled just about everything in the Device Manager, apart from System Devices, hoping that would eliminate the problem. On the contrary, now the high CPU usage of System interrupts was there right after start up! Even after enabling all devices again, the problem persisted. I had to do a system restore to fix this.

Then I disabled devices one by one, none of them solving the issue so far (network, audio, graphics, usb, cardreader, etc.) Disabling the 'Microsoft AC Adapter' in 'Batteries' caused the System interrupts high CPU usage to occur right after start up! How strange! Does this point in the direction of battery management as the cause of the problem?

HP Recommended

Just a few more observations:

-It doesn't matter if the laptop is run from mains power supply (charger), with or without battery in place, or from the battery alone. It also doesn't matter how sleep mode was activated (windows desktop, power button, closing lid).

-Another typical thing: when the laptop boots up after exiting the BIOS setup screen, the high CPU usage of 'System interrupts' occurs immediately! So no need to wake up from sleep mode for the issue to appear, it's right there after start up!

HP Recommended

Just one more thought:

The laptop HP 15-r085nd is advertised as having an Intel N2830 CPU. Actually it has a N2840 CPU. These CPU's are slightly different. Could it be that some driver or software has issues with a different CPU than it expects?

HP Recommended

I have been contacted by HP Support again. After another round of updates that included some very new updates from the HP website, the problem with high CPU usage by 'System interrupts' is solved!

We did several updates, so I am not sure which exactly solved the problem, but these are the ones:

- New BIOS firmware: version F.33  (my bet would be this is the one that solved the problem)

- New Intel-chipset driver: 1.20 A (sp69575.exe)

- New Intel HD Graphics driver: 1.20 A (sp69589.exe): 10.18.10.3958 (tried this one earlier, without solving the issue)

- New Realtek card reader driver: 1.20Ap3 (sp69610.exe)

I hope this helps other people with the same problem.

Many thanks to the HP Support team for all their help with this issue!!!

By the way, the issue with missing keystrokes in Internet Explorer (the higher the CPU usage (no matter for what reason), the more keystrokes are not registered!) still exists! I work around this issue by using Google Chrome. Still, I hope this issue might get solved as well! I will nevertheless mark this thread as 'Solved' as the main issue is solved.

HP Recommended

Same problem here with a high CPU usage for process System Interrupts after resuming sleep mode with my ENvy 13 laptop. With another issue after sleep mode : I had to wait many minutes to have the integrated keyboard active...

Tried to update drivers -> No matter

After reading your post, I update the the Bios (v5 to v13a. 5 versions in only one year... ) and now all works fine ! 

System Interrupts : less than 1% usage CPU :generic:

Keyboard active immmedialety after sleep mode :TongueOut:

Thanks a lot !

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.