Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended

Hi Guys,

I have a HP Pavillion DM1 4000SD, Windows 7 Home Premium, 32 Bit, that is just over one year old.

The last couple of weeks I have noticed that the netbook is really slow, and freezes a lot. When I look at the Processor Usage, I can see that it's between 90% and 100%, even when I have no programs open. 

My C: disk has 208 GB out of 444 GB left, my 😧 disk (recovery) has 1,79 GB out of 16,6GB left and my E: disk (HP TOOLS) has 13,6 MB out of 3,95 GB left.

I'm up to date with the Windows Updates.

I don't have great computer knowledge, so I hope you can help me out. 

Thanks a lot!

Cheers, Gwen

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Your hard drive space has nothing to do with your processor usage. That is the CPU for your notebook and whatever you are doing on your computer is maxing it out. The processor that is in your computer is slow compared to today's standards, but then again, a computer with an 11" inch monitor isn't designed to be a powerhouse, it's designed with portability in mind.

What programs are you running on it most of the time? Some programs are more resource heavy than other and can really tax the CPU. If you leave a lot of programs open when you are not using them, they are still using the CPU in the background. That might not even be the case either. Sometimes programs are set to auto start when the computer boots up and they are running without you ever touching them. We can take care of that however. 

I would first recommend that you run through this HP document on how to improve system performance: 

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05207140

All of the information in that document if very useful and could help you out a lot. However, the most important part of that document, concerning your issue, is the section titled "Managing startup programs by preventing background programs from loading".

That should help to free up some of your processor usage. Try it out and let me know if things have improved.

Best of luck,

Kyle

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

No one? :Crying:

Would really appreciate some help!!

HP Recommended

Your hard drive space has nothing to do with your processor usage. That is the CPU for your notebook and whatever you are doing on your computer is maxing it out. The processor that is in your computer is slow compared to today's standards, but then again, a computer with an 11" inch monitor isn't designed to be a powerhouse, it's designed with portability in mind.

What programs are you running on it most of the time? Some programs are more resource heavy than other and can really tax the CPU. If you leave a lot of programs open when you are not using them, they are still using the CPU in the background. That might not even be the case either. Sometimes programs are set to auto start when the computer boots up and they are running without you ever touching them. We can take care of that however. 

I would first recommend that you run through this HP document on how to improve system performance: 

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05207140

All of the information in that document if very useful and could help you out a lot. However, the most important part of that document, concerning your issue, is the section titled "Managing startup programs by preventing background programs from loading".

That should help to free up some of your processor usage. Try it out and let me know if things have improved.

Best of luck,

Kyle

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature
HP Recommended

Hi Kyle,

Thank you very much for the information!!

I did all the possible steps and I think my computer is fixed! I still have to really try it out and see how it's going in a couple of days/weeks, but the processor usage is now under 10% instead of over 90%!

Cheers, Gwen

HP Recommended

Awesome!! I'm glad that I was able to help get you back to where you need to be! I hope everything continues to run smoothly and if you have any more issues, just let me know!

Have a great day,

Kyle

Signature
HP Recommended

This HP expert did such a good job, this one should be both interesting and a piece of cake.  I recently bought a Pavilion 17-e113dx with AMD A8-4500M APU with Radeon HD Graphics.  I was pretty impressed, especially at $400.  It came with 4gb of RAM that I immediately doubled. I installed almost nothing, Firefox, Skype (didn't like the Skype App that comes with Windows 8.1) AVG free and Malwarebytes.

I use Skype a lot, and got right into it, and notices really high CPU with nothing else running.  Other processes together used about 10% (most of that the audio process) and Skype would vary between 30 and 70%. I then tried Google's video chat and managed to peg the CPU at 100% at times with that, making opening up a YouTube video at the same time near impossible.

I've also noticed that sometimes when Skyping the processor runs in a "normal" range (like on my nearly equivalent i-3) around 20%.  I've had HP do remote access service from both their hardware and software sides and they find nothing... though they didn't seem to attempt much either, running no fancy diagnostics, just looking around while I skyped somebody.

I spoke with a couple of techs who thought I may have faulty video RAM (comes with 2 gb) or maybe the video card itself bad.  Do you have takes or ideas how I can look into this.  I'm a medium level user, whatever that means... 😉

HP Recommended

or simply get some fresh cpu paste on this (clean off ALL old melted paste first) Keep in mind it is a small cpu and a small drop in the center of the "shiny" area will suffice. playing around with the friggin OS weont do it unless you are 1 bored individual. this and many of the new procressors go into low power mode and drag their butts for days to boot even. an air pocket  pocket in the pasted from it being overheated aand "melting " off causes the CPU to think it is in an overheated state (air gets hot quick) Wating your time scrtewing around with the OS will just cause what I call the "Frisbee Effect" where you get so ticked you whip the little demon unit at someones head...like a frisbee

---Mick---

HP Recommended

P>S> I had one a customer brought and it ran HP Diags after a restore perfectly (it took 3 days) HP diags said everything was FINE cant type what F I N E means in the forum but after a drop of cpu paste after cleaning the old schtuff off it ran as well as a system could:P

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.