Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Hp Envy 15-q178ca
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
I sat down to my laptop this morning, only to find that it won't power on. The battery isn't dead, as I left it charging overnight. When I hold down the power button, nothing happens. There is no lights blinking from the power button, CAPS Lock, or anywhere else, nor is there any beeping noises. The only light on is the small LED beside the charging port, which is only on when the power cable is attached. I've tried hard and forced restarts numerous times, some with only the battery put in after, only the power cable put in, or both. I'm currently at a stand still with this laptop. It's about a year and a half old, but I might just bring it to a shop to get replaced if I can't fix it.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
I was! The problem was the CMOS battery. It had a false current running through it, making the laptop believe it was on. This is caused by leaving the laptop on standby instead of properly powering it off all the time. All I had to do was remove the CMOS battery for twenty minutes. I then returned it and the laptop worked fine!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi @arianneply121,

Thank you for posting at HP Forums!

I have read your post and wanted to help. I understand that the laptop does not  boot up.

Since the computer could not be powered on either on AC adapter or battery, there may be a component of the laptop hardware is defective.

You can find a local repair store or contact HP phone suppor to arrange a repair.

To contact HP phone support: please use the following link http://www.hp.com/contacthp to create a case for your issue, and contact HP. If you live outside the US/Canada, please click the link http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-phone-assist.html to get the contact information for your region.

Please let me know if this resolves the issue by marking this post as "Accept as Solution".  To simply say thanks, click the Thumbs up below!  🙂  If you require further assistance let me know and I will gladly do all I can to help. Thanks.

Regards,

SDJL
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ”on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Hi, were you able to figure out the problem. Im having the same issue with my HP-j054ca. HP hasn't been able to solve this issue:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/HP-envy-15-notebook-pc-j054ca-B...

HP Recommended
I was! The problem was the CMOS battery. It had a false current running through it, making the laptop believe it was on. This is caused by leaving the laptop on standby instead of properly powering it off all the time. All I had to do was remove the CMOS battery for twenty minutes. I then returned it and the laptop worked fine!
HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply. I'm glad you were able to fix it. I replaced the CMOS battery but to no avail, seems in my case the issue may be with the motherboard....

HP Recommended
I am having the exact same problem. How did you get the battery out?
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.