Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP G61 - 410ED
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hi Guys,

Great forum, lots of useful info, unfortunately, I was unable to restore my BIOS even after following most (if not all) suggestions/guides I have read here, and in other forums on the Internet. By posting this I hope that someone here has the knowledge on how to restore the BIOS of this particular laptop that I have.

So, here is what happened:
I got this laptop from a friend of mine who was going to throw it away as he got a new fancy one. I formatted it, installed fresh windows and started updating the drives from the HP Support page. After I updated everything I noticed there's a new BIOS release and ran the executable. The InsydeFlash Utility appeared, I accepted the warnings and started the flash process. Then on the 50-ish percent the screen froze and that was it. Waited for 5 min, nothing happened. Switched it off and here I go - I have a bricked laptop.

Here's what I have tried so far and it did not succeed:

First, I have no UEFI partition on the HDD.
The Win+B key combination works, laptop beeps, some lights are blinking, even the USB stick with the BIOS file is blinking, as if it's reading it, but nothing happens. I think it is trying to read a file with specific name and extention and I loaded it with different combinations of filenames and extentions, but it doesn't work. Perhaps I don't know the required combination?

Here's an extract from the platform.ini file:

[Platform_Check]
flag=2
PlatformName=3069
PlatformName2=306A
PlatformName3=306B
PlatformName4=306C
PlatformName5=
PlatformName6=
PlatformName7=
PlatformName8=
PlatformName9=
Check_Before_ROM_Size=0

On the USB stick I have the following files:

306A
306B
306C
BIOS
3069F23

with .ROM, .FD, .BIN extentions

I also tried the guide here: http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/dv6-1247cl-BIOS-Update-Recovery-...but no luck.

Feel free to ask questions, I will answer to the best of my knowledge.

Many thanks and
Best regards,

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hello,

Thank you for posting in the HP Support forum. Welcome ! 🙂

Here is the official HP article about restoring the previous BIOS version >> http://support.hp.com/gb-en/document/c02693833

Hopefully, you will be able to get back and this will fix your issue.

1. Turn off the computer.
  2. Plug the notebook into a power source using the power adapter.
  3. With the computer off, press and hold the Windows logo key and the B key at the same time.
  4. Still pressing those keys, press and hold down the Power button on the computer for 1 to 2 seconds, and then release the Power button but continue to hold the Windows and B keys until the BIOS update screen is displayed or until you hear a beeping sound (usually 8 beeps).
    The power LED light remains on, and the screen remains blank for about 40 seconds before anything appears on the display. You might also hear beeping sounds. Eventually, an HP BIOS Update screen displays and the BIOS update begins automatically.
  5. After the BIOS is recovered, a Continue Startup button displays and a timer counts down. Click the Continue Startup button to restart the computer immediately. The computer restarts automatically when the timer reaches zero.
  6. When the computer restarts, a message similar to the following displays: A system BIOS Recovery has occurred. BIOS Recovery (500) Enter – Continue.
    Press the Enter key to continue immediately or to allow the computer to reboot automatically.
  7. Windows should start now.

Generally I do NOT recommend people to update BIOS/UEFI unless they know what they do and why they do it. Updating BIOS is done only if users have specific issues with their computers and if they know (they have read) that the new BIOS version fixes the issue. Updating just for the course of updating is not a solution as this may introduce many issues and brick the computer. This is valid for any update.

Let me know if this works for you.

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
HP Recommended

Hello, thanks for the reply. Unfortunately this doesn't work. After I press Win+B it starts beeping and the NUM and CAPS lock blink a few times but nothing appears on the screen -it's blank. If I put a USB flash drive with the firlware file it supposedly reads something, but nothing happens. 😞

HP Recommended

With regards to step 4 from the instructions above (in the article) - do you hear the beats and do you wait for about 40 seconds as mentioned there ?

If you tried to perform the instructions and you think you did it right and if it doesn't work, the only option will be to send the computer for a service in HP Authorized Service Center where thet will be able to fix it for you. You can bring the machine there OR you can ship it.  If the computer is still under warranty OR if you are not sure where such a center is located, you can contact HP support for assistance >> http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-phone-assist.html

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
HP Recommended

Yes, I have tried the instructions exactly as described in the guide and yes I hear the beeps and wait for far more than 40 sec. but no luck. I don't want to send it to service, as the cost for the courier and the repair will be higher than the cost of the laptop... I was trying to revive it myself and give it to my mother so she can use it for word processing and browsing.

I'd appreciate if anyone has any other suggestions that might help - I am willing to experiment, I doubt it can get any worse 😉

Best regards,

HP Recommended

Well, no problem with the experiments - it can't get any worse as it is not booting at all and inaccessible ... but there is no way to fix it at home unless you have all the tools and experience that HP service center have - the service engineers needs to fix the BIOS/motherboard.

Where are you located (country/city) ?  Is the computer under warranty (I doubt it is since your friend was going to throw it away but anyway...)  ?  In all cases I think it will be cheaper to fix than buying a new computer.

HP Recommended

I am located in Sofia, Bulgaria. And yes, you are correct, the laptop is way out of warranty 🙂

We are colleagues, BTW - I also work at Hewlett Packard Enterprise here in Sofia.

HP Recommended

🙂 From what I see the nearest service center from HPE office in Bulgaria is Stemo - you need to visit Stemo (Tsarigradsko shosse str.) or some other service center, or you can email them at  support at stemo.bg  

>> http://www8.hp.com/bg/bg/contact-hp/phone-assist.html

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.