Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Title says it all. Laptop simply crashes whenever I unplug the charger.  Upon restart, windows says it encountered an error, blah blah blah, would you like to send information, etc.

I had a problem with the display a year ago; I was still in warranty so I sent it in to get repaired. It returned fixed, but then the mother board fried within 7 days. So, of course, HP repaired it and sent it back. They also gave me a new battery for some reason.

Since then I've had this problem semi-randomly. There was a period about 4 months ago or so where it was frequent (every single time I unplugged it while it was on), but it has since gone away until tonight.

Note: Before, the issue did not happen if the laptop was asleep when I unplugged it. Also, it's usually when I unplug the cable from the laptop moreso than from the outlet.

Besides the repairs, everything is original.

Product Number: C2L39UA#ABA
Model: dv6-7246US

Operating System: Windows 8 64-Bit

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @El3mental

Thank you for providing all the relevant information regarding your battery problem. I will be happy to assist you with this issue. Let's start by Testing and Calibrating the battery to make sure that it is in working order. 

You can also try resetting the Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery which is basically the driver that communicates between the computer and the battery. There is a chance that it is corrupted.

Step 1. Go to Device Manager
Step 2. Select Batteries
Step 3. Right click the "Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery" that is listed there
Step 4. Click Uninstall
Step 5. At the prompt put a check in the box to remove the current driver
Step 6. Shutdown the computer
Step 7: Remove the battery for minute and then put it back in

When the computer comes back up it should automatically find the driver.

Step 8. Go to Device Manager
Step 9. Select Batteries
Step 10. Right click the "Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery" that is listed there
Step 11. Click "Search automatically for updated driver software"

Do the same thing with Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Embedded Controller.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue.

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Thank you,

BHK6

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Did as you said, and the issue seemed to clear up for awhile (not that it wasn't random anyway), but it had since returned in another form, I think.

In the past week my laptop has crashed 3 times when awakening from sleep mode. I usually open lid, turn mouse on and click to awaken; the screen stays black, and after 20 seconds or so the computer restarts. Upon logging into windows it says it encountered an error and all that but doesn't give any codes or anything.

I'm thinking this might be the same issue because nothing else has changed settings-wise, no programs have been added, haven't noticed any other problems, etc. It hasn't even been crashing when unplugging the charger, though to be fair, as I said before that always happened randomly.

Or can you think of another culprit? 

HP Recommended

Hi El3mental,

They might be related as they are both power issues. It is odd that it would start after after running the reset on the battery drivers. Here is an HP document Troubleshooting Sleep and Hibernate Issues with a few things to try including the built-in Windows power troubleshooter.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue.

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Thank you,

BHK6

I work on behalf of HP
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.