Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
PresarioCQ62
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)
I purchased a laptop from someone & when I turned it on it was locked & I don't know the password.

As soon as I turn it on it says "Enter administrator password or power on password"

When I type a password in after 3 tries & is incorrect it says "System disabled" the code beneath is: 66250741

I have never had this problem & im not 100% computer literate either. I know how to operate it but I've never heard of an admin password. Can anyone help me?

The model is CQ62-219WM
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

Enter:    79138387

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hi,

Enter:    79138387

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended
Thanks so much. It worked!! Now, the next screen is asking for a password...I guess an acct user is already set up?
HP Recommended

Hi,

If the Recovery Partition on the hard drive is still intact, your best option may be to just reinstall the operating system and then set up the account from the beginning.

To do this, shutdown the notebook.  Tap away at f11 as soon as you press the power button and see if this launches Recovery Manager - if it does, just follow the on screen prompts to reinstall the OS.  A full description of this procedure can be found on the following HP document.

http://support.hp.com/gb-en/document/c01867418#AbT3

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended
It said recovery manager at the bottom but didn't pop up...windows started up & I'm back at the screen....there was a user prior to me & idk her password. Can I still use this laptop without that password?
HP Recommended

Hi,

See if this alternative method will work

Shutdown the notebook.

Tap away at the esc key as soon as you press the power button and see if this launches the Start-up Menu.

If it does, press f11 and see if you can access Recovery Manager this way.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended
I pressed esc & the start up screen came up but I held down the shift key & clicked f11 & nothing happened. When I let go of the keys windows starts back up so I'm still back at the login screen that asks me for her password.
HP Recommended

Hi,

It's difficult for me to suggest a method of bypassing the log-on password when it's not your account and there may be private files related to the previous owner.

Is it possible to contact the person who sold you the laptop and ask her for the password?

Another option would be to purchase a set of Recovery Media from HP and use this to reinstall the operating system - see the link below.

https://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/mediaOrder?cc=us&lc=en&productOid=4221037&softwareitem=618139-00...

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended
Locked out HP
HP Recommended
Please help I can't afford to buy a new one. I'm a single mom of 4 and I'm trying to get back into school. I need help please
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.