Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360 - 13-4009na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

One day the machine started booting into "Preparing Automatic Repair" mode. I tried restarting several times including a hard reset with no effect.

So then I tried "reset this PC" but I get the message "The drive where Windows is installed is locked." On one occasion it did proceed past this screen and asked me my Windows account credentials but then failed. Now it's back to the same message.

I then tried system diagnostics on the hard drive. The short DST and SMART test passed BUT the long DST failed with a ridiculously long error code ...

0LPMB9-7LT88D-MFPWMG-61V503

My conclusion is that this problem is hard disk (SSD) related but what can I do now.  Needless to say my warranty ran out in January 2015 (I think) and the machine is currently bricked.

Does anybody know what the above code means?

If it is a SSD failure, how do I get it replaced and then how do I reinstall Windows 10 since HP did not supply any recovery media with the machine, either Win 8.1 or Win 10. 

Any help appreciated.

Paul.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Your long test has failed.  I would not say to replace the drive if I felt it not necessary.

You would do best to replace it but weather you do it yourself or not, I cannot comment. HP does not have instructions for your model on replacing that drive.

If your comfortable with DIY, go for it as long as its out of warranty.

Specs say it has an 256 GB M.2 SSD

I would personally look at the drive before I ordered one, to make sure I get the correct type.

Good luck.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hello MrStickleback,

Sorry to hear about your situation. An SSD should last you many years before an issue of failure occurs.

Unfortunately if its out of warranty now, it will be up to you to replace the drive.

If you do it yourself, you have two options for reloading Windows.

You can use the Microsoft media creation tool to download and install Windows 8.1 or 10 back onto your system. You will also need a blank USB pen drive to load it to.

Here is the link, be sure to choose the correct version that was installed before, ie: Windows 10 Home 64bit.

Create media Windows 10

You will also want to download the drivers for your model from the HP support sight to install.

Or you can contact HP Support and order a copy of your recovery media.

Contact HP Worldwide | HP® Official Site

If you need more detailed instruction on how to do this, come back to the forum and ask.

Also so you know in the future, almost all HP computers come with the ability for the owners to burn their own recovery media. You are support to do this right after purchase so you have it if anything like this happens.  http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03481733

Let me know if I can answer any other questions.

HP Recommended

Thank you very much for your reply. Much appreciated. Just a couple of follow ups just so I am clear.

Are you confirming that this is a SSD failure? I cannot find any way of looking up the meaning of that long error code.

Assuming it is the SSD, what should I be looking for to buy a replacement? Sorry to be such a pathetic non-techy but I am nervous about buying the wrong interface etc. 

Lastly, how easy is it to change the SSD on these super thin laptops? Again, I feel nervous about doing it myself but in the past I have done this kind of thing on other older Dells laptops.

Thanks, Paul.

HP Recommended

Your long test has failed.  I would not say to replace the drive if I felt it not necessary.

You would do best to replace it but weather you do it yourself or not, I cannot comment. HP does not have instructions for your model on replacing that drive.

If your comfortable with DIY, go for it as long as its out of warranty.

Specs say it has an 256 GB M.2 SSD

I would personally look at the drive before I ordered one, to make sure I get the correct type.

Good luck.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.