Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
A6Z29UA#ABA
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

I recently updated my windows software to Windows 10 on my Hp Pavilion g series laptop and ever since updating, my mouse freezes up. It works fine if in constant use but if I breifly stop and then go back to use it, it will be frozen and I'll have to play with the mouse pad to get it to work again.

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

Hello @Tanner75,

Thank you for visiting the HP Forums! A great place where you can find solutions for your issues, with help from the community!

I read your post about the mouse issue, and wanted to assist you!

All the Windows 10 drivers for your product is being pushed through the Windows Update.  Try using that to check for drivers that will work with Windows 10.  You can check this site as well: HP Products - Where Do I Find Windows 10 Drivers and Software for My Model?

If you are having trouble installing the drivers, you can use the tool at the following site: 

Open the Windows Update troubleshooter

It is possible that drivers may not be available for your product.  If that is the case, or the drivers you found are not working, try using the solutions on this site as a workaround, and let me know how it goes: How to: Install and Update drivers in Windows 10

Please let me know if this information was helpful by clicking the thumbs up below.  If this post resolved your issue, then please click on Accept as Solution.

Regards!

SDF15
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

I've been having a similar issue. One minor difference is that my mousepad freezes anytime I use the keyboard at all, and I then have to play with it for it to become responsive again.

HP Recommended

Hello @BPR789,

Welcome to the HP Forums, I hope you enjoy your experience! To help you get the most out of the HP Forums, I would like to direct your attention to the HP Forums Guide First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

I read your post about the TouchPad issue, and wanted to assist you!

To start, can you provide me with the Product Number of the notebook?  Here is a link you can use that will help you find your Model and Product Number:

How Do I Find My Model Number or Product Number?

In the meantime, please review the following document, and let me know how it goes:

HP Notebook PCs - Using the TouchPad or ClickPad (Windows 10)

Please let me know if this information helps you resolve the issue by marking this post as  "Accept as Solution" , this will help others easily find the information they may be looking for.  Also, clicking the Thumbs up below is a great way to say thanks!

Have a great day!

SDF15
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
HP Recommended

I updated to Windows 10 a few days ago and immediately afterward my touchpad would freeze any time I use the keyboard. It required a few clicks of moving my finger around on the pad for a minute to get the cursor to be reponsive again. I did not have this problem when I was using Windows 7 on this computer.  I have already turned off the touchpad delay, it did not sem to make any difference. Please help me resolve this issue. 

HP Recommended

Hello @aaronmp999,

Welcome to the HP Forums, I hope you enjoy your experience! To help you get the most out of the HP Forums, I would like to direct your attention to the HP Forums Guide First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

I understand that you are having an issue with the TouchPad, and wanted to assist you!

To start, can you provide me with the Product Number of the notebook?  Here is a link you can use that will help you find your Model and Product Number:

How Do I Find My Model Number or Product Number?

Did you get a chance to review the document mentioned in my previous post?  You can find it here: HP Notebook PCs - Using the TouchPad or ClickPad (Windows 10)

Please post back with the results.

Please let me know if this information helps you resolve the issue by marking this post as  "Accept as Solution" , this will help others easily find the information they may be looking for.  Also, clicking the Thumbs up below is a great way to say thanks!

Have a great day!

SDF15
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

We'll, this is exactly what I'm experiencing.  For about three seconds after I use the keyboard, the mouse is unresponsive.  If I'm moving the mouse when I hit a key, the mouse stops the instant the key is pressed, and then won't move for another three seconds.  I'll note that it does not happen for all keyboard keys.  For instance, ctrl, fn, start, and alt can all be pressed without causing the mouse to freeze.

Product name: HP ENVY dv4 Notebook PC

Product number: B5Y39AV

I have checked Windows update as well as the HP drivers page.  I was unable to find any new drivers.

This is very frustrating and very disappointing.  It is not the first issue I've had with the mouse freezing on this particular machine.  Even with Windows 8 I found that certain processes would cause disc usage to reach 100%, at which point the mouse would freeze up for about 10 seconds at a time.  I finally figured out how to manage that issue, and now I have a new one on my hands.  It would appear that the software governing the touchpad is a bit sub-standard.  You can google "HP envy mouse freezes" and the number of results is astounding.  I have spent a lot of time combing through those search results and I have yet to find any solutions.

I'll wait a little while longer to see if I can manage this, but I'm thinking it is unlikely.  It's a shame that a problem like this can really destroy what would otherwise be a decent machine.  I guess I'll throw it away and buy a Dell, or something.

HP Recommended

Hello @endar1077,

Thank you for visiting the HP Forums! A great place where you can find solutions for your issues, with help from the community!

I came across your post about the TouchPad issue, and wanted to help!

For your product, Windows 10 drivers are being pushed through the Windows Update.  Please see my post here, and let me know if the issue is resolved.

Have a great weekend!

SDF15
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

@SDF15, 

Thanks for trying, but I read the previous posts and attempted all the previous guidance prior to posting.  As I mentioned in my last post, I have already checked Windows update as well as the HP library of drivers.  There are no driver updates available by either method.  I will continue to install windows updates as they become available.  I guess all I can do is hope that HP recognizes this issue and addresses it quickly.  Unfortunately, I'm not feeling very optimistic.

HP Recommended

Hi all

I upgraded my HP Pavilion dv7 Notebook PC to Windows 10 yesterday and had the same problem: the mouse pointer would freeze for about 4 seconds after pressing any keyboard letter, number or symbol key.  However, I think I have a solution!

Click on Start > type in 'Control Panel' and then open the Control Panel app.  Click on 'Hardware and Sound' and then 'Mouse' (under Devices and Printers at the top).  You might not need to do this step, but when the 'Mouse Properties' window opens, click on Restore Defaults.  Then click on 'TouchPad Settings' - this should open the 'Synaptics Control Panel' window.  Click on the 'Advanced' tab and set the 'Filter Activation Time' slider to 0 seconds.  Click on OK.

You will notice that the pointer will still slam to a halt and disappear when you type, but crucially that recovery period is no longer 4 seconds, but now about 0.5 seconds (if that) and practically instantaneous compared to previously!

Hope this helps everyone who bought a HP device prior to August 2013, who has now found the rug pulled out from under them since upgrading to Windows 10.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.