Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have an HP Pavillion DV4 laptop and whenever I turn it on the screen never turns on. So I tried to hold the power button down to completely shut it off. Then I waited about 30 seconds then I turned it on again and the screen still would not turn on. What is the problem here because this is driving me CRAZY. If anyone knows the problem, it would be greatly appriciated.

111 REPLIES 111
HP Recommended

Try cycling through the monitor select function on your keyboard.  The laptop monitor select function is for non, external and both.  

To do a power reset, unplug your laptop, remove the battery and hold the power switch down for 30 seconds.

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended

Yes. A friend told me to do that as well. Thanks.

HP Recommended

When you turn the unit on , press the caps lock key and see if it illuminates the light . If it does then your problem is somewhere in your LCD . Connect an external monitor and see if you get video to it . If you do , most likely your issue is the inverter , lcd cable or lcd itself . Tilt the lcd back and shine a light on it , if you see faint video its most likely an inverter issue .

Hope this helps .

HP Recommended

Ok. Thanks for the suggestion. But when every I turn it on, the lights for the volume and internet light all of those turn on as normal, after a while I hear the Windows vista start up music play to display the log-on screen but then the screen is black. I have to continuously restart the machine. Who would you recommend talking to about this problem? The Battery reset or whatever that was called works for a little bit but then the problem kept on occuring. Who would you recommend talking to? Best by the place I got it from or Geeks Squad or anyother person or company?

HP Recommended

Although the skill level of the techs will vary , as far as i know GeekSquad is an hp authorized rep , and with a little digging they should be able to ferret out the issue . Best to go with someone who HP supports as a rep since if they mess something up you know they have someone behind them to get it fixed for you . While the individual skill level of a standalone shop may be higher most dont have that same backing and you could be left in the lurch if they make the problem worse .

HP Recommended

Okay. Thanks for you help.

HP Recommended

I've had a similar issue.  There is a recall on this product that pertains to the video chip.  Go to www.nvidiasettlement.com.  I've been told it's a manufacturing issue that has to do with the position of the chip in relation to the processor.  Something to do with an overheating situation. 

HP Recommended

I will definately check that out. But I sold this laptop to a company for cash. It was really junk. I can't wait till I get a new dell, cause I believe that dells service/support is better than what this HP has offered me. They offered me $314 to fix it and I immediately shot that down because you could might as well get a new machine. Dell offers three year warrenties which would be great for me incase something breaks like this one, did 43 days till the warrenty expired. Incase it happens this before the month mark, I won't have to worry with the three year warenty.

HP Recommended

thank you

it worked

i took battery out and left it plugged in and then turned it off and on again and it fixed it....thank you the screen is back on.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.