Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended

My computer does not start. I did a hard reset but still nothing happens. I heard 2 small beeps. I live in Harrow, UK - postcode HA1 1EL. where can I take my notebook - any neaarby HP service centre ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Yes the hard drive is probably still good. I think it is not old enough to use PATA so it is SATA. Remove the hard drive and place it in a usb to SATA adapter, plug into the usb port of another computer and you can copy and paste data off the drive to use it somewhere else. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Teorder-Adapter-Universal-Adaptor-Converter/dp/B01LZAEQ80/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF...

The hard drive is removed from a bay on the bottom you can open easily. 

1. On the bottom of your HP TX2500 laptop, find the hard drive door to access the hard drive.

2. Remove the Screws.

3. In this step, you will either need to pry out your HP TX2500 hard drive caddy, or simply remove the door.

4. Once the HP TX2500 hard drive is removed the laptop, you need to remove the hard drive caddy. There are usually four screws to remove from the caddy.

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

What model is it please? 

If out of warranty you may want to try something like Currys

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/fix-it-1474-commercial.html?srcid=198&cmpid=ppc~gg~Trial+-+Staples+Corn...

If in warranty post back. We can also try to help you troubleshoot it yourself. 

HP Recommended

Thanks so much for getting back to me.

Its a Pavilion tx2500. Its very old - out of warranty !

I have not used a password on the system and therefore do not want to leave it unattended and hence keep requesing if I can be there when its mended.

Have had really bad experiences with the local repair shops in Harrow.

Currys sounds like a good idea - any idea whether they do repairs in the store as well ?

Is there a HP service centre in Greater London at all ? 

HP Recommended

You are going to have a lot of trouble getting anybody to work on the tx2500. HP Service Centers will charge a very high price and even someplace like Currys will not have technicians who know anything about that old classic. You need to find a local mom and pop store to work on something like that. 

HP Recommended

Thanks. Thats very helpful. I have been spending a lot of money on it - every year around 100 GBP a year either on chargers or adaptors, etc. So kinda ounds sensible to dispose off it and use my other notebook instead.

I want to retrieve my data from it - is it possible to upload my data from it onto my other computer ?

What would be the best place to do that ?

The local mom and pop stores have no idea about it actually as well. They do not even do a hard reset I observed.

HP Recommended

Yes the hard drive is probably still good. I think it is not old enough to use PATA so it is SATA. Remove the hard drive and place it in a usb to SATA adapter, plug into the usb port of another computer and you can copy and paste data off the drive to use it somewhere else. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Teorder-Adapter-Universal-Adaptor-Converter/dp/B01LZAEQ80/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF...

The hard drive is removed from a bay on the bottom you can open easily. 

1. On the bottom of your HP TX2500 laptop, find the hard drive door to access the hard drive.

2. Remove the Screws.

3. In this step, you will either need to pry out your HP TX2500 hard drive caddy, or simply remove the door.

4. Once the HP TX2500 hard drive is removed the laptop, you need to remove the hard drive caddy. There are usually four screws to remove from the caddy.

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

HP Recommended

This is extremely helpful. Much appreciated.

Folks here are just playing the fool with it !

Unscrewing, etc may not be something I can do rather easily.

(i) If I go to a Currys, would they usually be able to do this for me ?

As now that I have an idea what to do, will be easier to monitor it through

(ii) It was a Vista laptop, wll it be a problem to use the hard drive data on Windows 10 notebook ?

(iii) Once the hard drive is removed, whats the best way to dispose or recycle it ?

Can it be ued again with a new harddrive, if it starts to work

HP Recommended

Yes Currys can figure out how to extract the hard drive and likely will have one of those adapters for sale, too. Once you get the data off the hard drive since it is "bad" it is not really trustworthy for use any more. You can dispose of it at any electronics recycling place. I would hit it a couple good whacks with a hammer first to make sure nobody else tries to get data off of it. Your passwords to your bank and such are stored in there in Code that a hacker can read. 

Files created in Vista are legible to Windows 10. 

HP Recommended

Thankyou very much. You have been very helpful. I shall visit Currys over the weekend. One more query - if this hard drive is bad, when i transfer the data out, will it corrupt the new system or laptop i download it to as well ?

HP Recommended

That is a darn good question. It is possible some of the files you transfer over may not be "right". They may refuse to open. This can be a problem with big files like .jpgs and .mp3s and videos. Worst that happens is you try to open it and it won't open and you just delete it. Won't corrupt the rest of the data. You also want to be sure your virus shields are up since you don't want to transfer off any malware that might be on the old hard drive. Not a bad idea to scan the old drive before doing the transfer and if you can't scan it that is a good sign you won't get much useable data off of it. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.