Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended

Hi. I have an HP G71-329WM Laptop. I don't know much about computers so I couldn’t really give you specs because I have no idea what they are. Anyways, I keep getting the error "No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key". If you click on this link (http://s12.postimage.org/72f2hz4kd/IMG_0144_1.jpg) it will take you to a crappy picture I took with my iPod to show you exactly what I was going through. I have been looking all over the place for my boot disk but I haven’t been able to find it. If someone could please help me with my problem I would really appreciate it because the only thing I have seen about this is replacing my hard drive and I really don’t want to go through that. Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

The most likely explanation is that your Hard Drive has failed and need to be replaced.

As a further test, try the following.

Follow the procedure on the link below to create a bootable Ubuntu CD and follow the steps in Part 3 to 'Try it' to see if this OS will run.  The 'Try it' option runs the OS from the CD without the need to install on your HDD.  If this runs Ok ( it will be slow running from a CD ), this would tend to confirm that the problem is with the HDD.

http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/download

If it does look like the HDD has indeed failed, it's pretty straight forward to replace it.

The drive on the link below is an example of one that would be fine for your notebook.

500Gb Hard Drive

The procedure to replace the Hard Drive starts on Page 56 of your Maintenance & Service Guide.

Once done, simply use your Recovery DVDs to reinstall the Operating System on the new drive.

If you don't have your Recovery Discs, you can order a replacement set using the link below.

Order HP Recovery Discs.

If you have any problem with this link, order them directly from HP.

If you live in the US, contact HP Here.

If you are in another part of the world, start Here.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi,

Shut down the notebook.  Tap away at f10 as you start the notebook to enter the bios menu.  Under the Advanced or Diagnostic tab you should find the facility to run tests on both the Hard Drive and Memory.  Post back with the details of any error messages.

If both the above tests pass, try the following.

If you don't already have one, use another PC to create a Windows 7 Rescue CD.  Download the relevant ISO from the links below - if your unsure of the version you have, your notebook is listed as coming with a 64bit OS, so try that version first.

Windows 7 32bit

Windows 7 64bit

You should use an application such as ImgBurn to burn the ISO to a CD - a guide on using ImgBurn to write an ISO to a disc is Here.  Once created, or if you already have this, insert the CD into the notebook and restart to boot from it.  Select the Repair option.

Select the 'Repair your Computer' option and follow Option 2 in the guide on the link below to run Start-up Repair – you may need to run this 2 or 3 times.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/668-system-recovery-options.html

If the above fails to help, make a note of any error messages you may get during the procedure and include them with your next post.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

When I ran the hard disk check it said "Hard Disk Not Exist" but the memory had no errors. I am assuming that I will need to replace the hard drive.

HP Recommended

Hi,

The most likely explanation is that your Hard Drive has failed and need to be replaced.

As a further test, try the following.

Follow the procedure on the link below to create a bootable Ubuntu CD and follow the steps in Part 3 to 'Try it' to see if this OS will run.  The 'Try it' option runs the OS from the CD without the need to install on your HDD.  If this runs Ok ( it will be slow running from a CD ), this would tend to confirm that the problem is with the HDD.

http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/download

If it does look like the HDD has indeed failed, it's pretty straight forward to replace it.

The drive on the link below is an example of one that would be fine for your notebook.

500Gb Hard Drive

The procedure to replace the Hard Drive starts on Page 56 of your Maintenance & Service Guide.

Once done, simply use your Recovery DVDs to reinstall the Operating System on the new drive.

If you don't have your Recovery Discs, you can order a replacement set using the link below.

Order HP Recovery Discs.

If you have any problem with this link, order them directly from HP.

If you live in the US, contact HP Here.

If you are in another part of the world, start Here.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended
It is defiantly the HDD. Thank you for helping me out with all of this. I will replace the hard drive once I get the funds to do so. Thanks Again!
HP Recommended

Hi,

You're welcome :generic:

All the best,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Hi, i have just about exactly the same problem, with a few differances.  HP G71 449 wm, running win 7 home premium.  Hard drive was toast, bought a brand spaning new hard drive, installed it and still am getting the "no bootable device" message  Did the Bios drive and memory tests, both passes, Have tried starting with Win 7 disc in drive, reset bios boot order to start with cd/dvd rom drive boot first, that still has the same message, i have even tried booting with Ubuntu, and to the same end.  nothing will seem to get this to read the drive and boot.  what can i do?

HP Recommended

Hi there!

I'm having a similar issue. We're you able to get this resolved, and if so, how?

Thanks

VPO

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.