Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
PC ENVY dv7
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

While I was using my laptop I got a message that HP was running some kind of disagnostic program and at the end it asked if I wanted it to repair problems. I declined the offer. However, the next time I turned the computer on, I first saw the HP logo and then the message "Preparing Automatic Repair". After a few seconds there is a brief rectangle that flashes on and disappears. Then I received a blue screen with: 😞 Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart. We'll restart for you." That starts a cycle of restarting and blue screen. The blue screens alternate error messages saying: "If you'd like to know more, you can search online later for this error" and one time it will say "FAT File System" and another time "NTFS File System". I have gone to the HP support page for the ENVY dv7 and tried the repair suggestions without success. Is there a way to get past these two error messages and their blue screens to get my system working again? If so, how?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

The 24 character error code is a failure of the short Disk Self Test ( DST ) and would indicate that the Hard Drive is failing and needs to be replaced.  This is also consistent with your description of the problem.

If your notebook is still under warranty, contact HP and arrange to have the drive replaced - If needed, you can check your warranty status Here.

If you live in the US, contact HP Here.

If you are in another part of the world, start Here.

If you are no longer under warranty, it's a fairly straight forward procedure to replace the HDD yourself - a brief guide on this is below.

The drives on the following links are examples that would be fine for your notebook.

500Gb Hard Drive

750Gb Hard Drive.

1Tb Notebook Hard Drive.

The procedure to replace the Hard Drive starts on Page 56 of your Maintenance & Service Guide.

Regarding reinstalling Windows 10 on the new HDD, as long as the previous installation of Windows 10 had activated Ok after the upgrade from Windows 7/8.1, you can just create your own Windows 10 installation media and perform a clean installation as detailed in the guide on the following link.  Note: At the activation screen, select 'I don't have a Product key' - Windows will activate automatically once the installation has completed.

http://www.howtogeek.com/224342/how-to-clean-install-windows-10/

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi,

Shutdown the notebook. 

Tap away at the esc key as you start the notebook to enter the Start-up Menu.  Select the Diagnostic Menu option ( f2 ) and run the tests on the Hard Drive.

Post back with the results, including any error codes that may be generated.

Can you also post back with the full Model No. and Product No. of your dv7 series notebook - see Here for a guide on locating this information.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

I ran the tests you recommended and got the following response:

Processor Check:  Passed

Memory Quick Check: Passed (tested 15.8 gb)

Hard Drive Smart Check: Passed

Hard Drive short DST check:  Failed

Failure ID: GU7W7R-6J385W-QFPJW1-60VS03

Product ID: C2Y65AV

Hard Drive 1

My Model number is dv7t-73C0 (the C could have been a 0 with part of the 0 effaced)

My laptop's serial number:  (removed content)

Is there any hope with the hard drive in this situation?

HP Recommended

Hi,

The 24 character error code is a failure of the short Disk Self Test ( DST ) and would indicate that the Hard Drive is failing and needs to be replaced.  This is also consistent with your description of the problem.

If your notebook is still under warranty, contact HP and arrange to have the drive replaced - If needed, you can check your warranty status Here.

If you live in the US, contact HP Here.

If you are in another part of the world, start Here.

If you are no longer under warranty, it's a fairly straight forward procedure to replace the HDD yourself - a brief guide on this is below.

The drives on the following links are examples that would be fine for your notebook.

500Gb Hard Drive

750Gb Hard Drive.

1Tb Notebook Hard Drive.

The procedure to replace the Hard Drive starts on Page 56 of your Maintenance & Service Guide.

Regarding reinstalling Windows 10 on the new HDD, as long as the previous installation of Windows 10 had activated Ok after the upgrade from Windows 7/8.1, you can just create your own Windows 10 installation media and perform a clean installation as detailed in the guide on the following link.  Note: At the activation screen, select 'I don't have a Product key' - Windows will activate automatically once the installation has completed.

http://www.howtogeek.com/224342/how-to-clean-install-windows-10/

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Thank you, David. I gather from what you have shared that it is unlikely that I will be able to recover any of the data on the hard drive. Is that right?

HP Recommended

Hi,

You may be able to access and back-up the files from the failing drive.

One option would be to remove the HDD, place it in an external caddy - an example is on the link below - connect this to another PC and see if you can access your files.

External HDD Caddy 2.5".

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

I've seen this problem in 3 hp laptops and 1 hp desktop, last 3 days! 

HP Recommended
Hello while I was updating my HP 635 laptop I encountered a message that said "computer ran into a problem...." Then it restarted and diagnosed the pc. After that it showed some options but when I try all the options it fails. How can I format my laptop using a USB drive because when I go to the BIOS options I don't see the legacy support that I must enable
HP Recommended

Hi David, I got similar problem with my Hp 15 Notebook PC and after selecting Diagnostic Menu option ( f2 ) and run the tests on the Hard Drive the feedback was PASSED on all the options. Please help.

@DavidPK wrote:

Hi,

Shutdown the notebook. 

Tap away at the esc key as you start the notebook to enter the Start-up Menu.  Select the Diagnostic Menu option ( f2 ) and run the tests on the Hard Drive.

Post back with the results, including any error codes that may be generated.

Can you also post back with the full Model No. and Product No. of your dv7 series notebook - see Here for a guide on locating this information.

Regards,

DP-K

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.