Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Out of nowhere, my HP Pavilion dm4 shut itself down last night and will not restart.  When I turn on the computer, I get a black screen with a flashing cursor in the upper left corner.  I've run a variety of diagnostics and everything appears OK (i.e. no error messages). 

I am able to start the computer in "Media" mode - and I can see all of my files.  However, I am unable to start the computer normally.  Please help.

My computer is 1 year and 25 days old -- so 25 days outside of the warranty period.

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

Boot from the Rescue CD again, select Repair Your Computer and choose the Command Prompt.  When this loads, enter the following commands and hit enter after each one - include spaces as shown.

Bootrec.exe

bcdedit /export C:\BCD_Backup

c:

cd boot

attrib bcd -s -h -r

ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old

bootrec /RebuildBcd

bootrec /fixmbr

bootrec /fixboot

Remove the Rescue CD and try rebooting now.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

View solution in original post

22 REPLIES 22
HP Recommended

Hi,

Do you mean you can still access your files from Safe Mode?

If this is the case, do you see the option to select Command Prompt?

What version of windows are you running - ie Vista, Windows 7 etc?

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

I don't think it's safe mode -- it's the special "Media" mode if you just want access to the web, IM, skype, photos, video, and music.  I've never used this mode before but decided to try defaulting the computer to start up this way since absolutely nothing else is working.

Yes, via this "Media" mode, I can see and access my photos and files but there's no way that I can find to save them to my zip drive.

I still can't start up my computer normally; I'm still getting the black screen with the flashing cursor--no error message.

HP Recommended

My computer has Windows 7.  I don't see the prompt you're referencing.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Shut down the notebook.  Tap away at f8 as soon as you start-up - does this launch Windows Recovery Console?

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

F8 does nothing. The only thing that works is holding down ESC.

HP Recommended

Hi,

If you don't already have one, use another PC to create a Windows 7 Recovery CD.  Download the relevant ISO from the links below.

Windows 7 32bit

Windows 7 64bit

You should use an application such as ImgBurn to burn the ISO to a CD - a guide on using ImgBurn to write an ISO to a disc is Here.  Once created, or if you already have this, insert the CD and restart to boot from it.  Select the Repair option.

Select the 'Repair your Computer' option and follow Option 2 in the guide on the link below to run Start-up Repair – you may need to run this 2 or 3 times.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/668-system-recovery-options.html

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Thank you. I will try this. Could you tell me if there's a term to describe what the problem with my computer is?  And will doind this wipe out the files I have on my computer?

HP Recommended

Hi,

It's not clear yet exactly what the problem is with your notebook, however the procedure I describe in my last post may give a clearer indication even if it does not correct the issue so make a note of any error messages you may get when trying this.

The procedure will in no way effect the files on your Hard Drive.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

I made a system recovery disc as you recommended, restored the computer to an earlier date (successfully) and also ran a series of tests, all of which the computer passed.  Unfortunately, the computer will still not boot.  I am continuing to get the black screen with a flashing cursor.  I can also continue to use the computer in Quick Media mode.

Please let me know if you have other suggestions. Thanks very much.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.