Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Pavilion dv5-1005el
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

this is my configuration:

Product Name: Pavilion dv5-1005el
Operating System: Windows 10 (64 bit)

Had this problem: while I was normally working, suddenly the screen went grey, (not black, I could view a backgound light on the screen) and the laptop didn't respond to any input, so I forced the power off pressing the power button.
Afetr restarting, the computer normally power on, but the screen is now completely off, the lights blink just once, 2-3 sec after power on and then they stop blinking (I can't remember if this is the normal beahviour).
No repeated sequence, just one blink.
I tried to connect it to my TV with the HDMI cable: when I turn on the computer, the TV output automatically swith to the right source, but the screen is always black (but this makes me exclude a graphic issue).
Tried a BIOS recovery via USB, but when I start pressing win+B, I hear 6 beeps and nothing more.

It seems like a CPU fault: what do you think about?

Thanks

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi there @Masanijey

The absolute best way to detect what the issue is classified as in this case is to go by the LED lights near the Caps Lock and Num Lock keys. When they blink in a sequence it means that an error is detected during the startup process. The number of blinks in the sequence indicates what component caused an error when it was being tested during start up.

Here is a link to the Computer Does Not Start and Emits an LED or Beep Code document for you to read over. You will notice that it has charts that will tell you what the blink code on the Caps Lock means.  In this case, you are correct, it in fact does seem like a CPU issue. 

You have a couple options at this point. You can go to the HP PartSurfer page to order a new CPU. Here is your HP Pavilion dv5 Maintenance and Service Guide in case you need it also. Alternatively, you can use the Warranty Checker to check the warranty status of the Notebook and then please use the following link to create yourself a case number:

Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect
Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"
Step 4. Scroll down and click on HP contact options - click on Get phone number

Case number and phone number appear.

Did this reply resolve your issue or answer your question? If yes, then please share the good news! Let others know this reply was helpful by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation by clicking the Thumbs Up.

If you require further assistance, I would be more than happy to continue to help you. Please re-post with the results of the troubleshooting.

Welcome to the HP Support Community and thank you for joining in! 

Have a great day! 

EmeraldAvenger
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.