Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hey all,

In need of some help for a friend, her laptop has had this issue for a while now and only just come to me for help. Her HP Pavilion DV6-3040SA has an odd issue with it, if you power it up the display doesn't come on and the caps lock just flashes, it will continue to flash until the laptop is turned off. On the help section a flashing caps lock does not refer to any particular error.

I've reseated RAM, tried hard resetting, reseated the CPU and it managed to power up, then after it was turned off, it wouldn't power up again and had the same issue, after playing with it some more it powered up and worked for 2 days, when it promptly stopped working again.

Any reason for this issue? 

16 REPLIES 16
HP Recommended

What is the pattern of the caps lock blinking?  Does it blink, blink, pause for 3-4 seconds, blink, blink?  The blinks will be separated by a 3-4 second pause.

One that is often described as continuous blinking is when it blinks one time.  This appears to be a continous blink rather than an interval.  This would be reflected by blink, pause, blink, pause, etc.

What is the exact model of the notebook?

NOTE: Do not provide the serial number.

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
HP Recommended

It just flashes, pause, flashes, pause, so I assume it's CPU issue, although I find it strange the CPU is sometimes broken, sometimes not.

Model dv6-3040sa
Product WR777EA#ABU

HP Recommended

Processor failures can be have inconsistently.  I have seen processor failures start with 1-2 second hangs in the OS to working one day and not at all the next. 

The blinking code you have desribed is a beep code of one.  Review the following table found here.

Caps Lock/Num Lock 1 CPU CPU not functional Reseat replace CPU.

Service
Caps Lock/Num Lock 2 BIOS BIOS corruption failure Restore BIOS from onboard backup (jumpers)

Service
Caps Lock/Num Lock 3 Memory Memory module error not functional Reseat memory modules (see next section).

Test memory from UEFI or BIOS.

Replace bad memory modules.

Service
Caps Lock/Num Lock 4 Graphics Graphics controller not functional Service
Caps Lock/Num Lock 5 System board General system board failure Service
Caps Lock/Num Lock 6 BIOS BIOS authentication failure Restore BIOS from onboard backup (jumpers)

Service

The options for a blink code of 1 is to reseat the CPU as you have already done or to replace the processor.  Since the issue returns after reseating the CPU, it looks like the CPU needs to be replaced.  Sorry.  😞

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
HP Recommended

Thanks for the confirmation, I will swap out the processor when I get it posted back to me, £15 for a used one isn't too bad if it fixes it, I'll leave this as unsolved until I have seen for sure it works if thats alright.

Thanks again,

Matt

HP Recommended

You are most welcome. 

Let me know what happens once the processor is replaced. 

Signature
HP Recommended

Well, the processor change still didn't help, still broken

HP Recommended

If it is still tripping the processor POST test, then the only component left at this point is the motherboard.

The processor post test is generally correct, but there are small number of cases where it is a component on the motherboard (CPU socket more than likely) and this appears to fall into that category.  I am surprised that it was not the processor. 

Sorry.  😞

Signature
HP Recommended
Hi I have the same problem but blinks at 2 seconds in between need help
HP Recommended

If it is blinking with a 2-3 second pause between each blink, then this correlates to the processor POST test.  It can be either the processor or the socket on the motherboard itself that has failed.  It's usually the processor, but it can be the motherboard in some cases.  However, that isn't something that can be identified without a shop to test the individual components.

Signature
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.