Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

TRY HARDWARE FIX WHICH WORKED FOR ME AFTER TRYING EVERYTHING ELSE THAT FAILED. The connector tape under the keyboard had come loose and after reconnecting it everything worked fine. Look on internet on how to remove keyboard and then just reconnect connector tape which seems to come loose with use -- not a very good receptor plug...

Remove one screw under the bottom hardware cover (which has its own screw which doesn't completely come out but enables cover to slide off) immediately under the middle of keyboard and then turn it over and pry keyboard off. More than likely you'll see the connector precariously loose or out all together. Just reinsert it and put front clamp down on it. Put keyboard back -- not as easy to snap back in as one might think -- and then replace screw and cover on back. Voila!.......

HP Recommended
  1. Under the hidden icon button next to the power icon in the lower right hand find the "Filter Key"icon and double click.
  2. Uncheck the ""Turn on Filter Keys"box 
  3. Apply and close. That should work, at least in my case it did.

I think it can be turned on when the "Shift Right button" is held for 8 seconds

HP Recommended

I don't know why this happens, but I randomly came across an even quicker fix for when it happens.

Hold down the Windows key, then tap ALT, and the keyboard produces actual keystrokes again, at least for me. Quickr than rebooting or switching accounts or things.

In regards to the person who could not eject CDs/DVDs by pushing the eject button ... I had the same thing with my new computer for about five months. Then I dropped my computer on the ground, and the eject button suddenly worked.

Please understand, I do not suggest trying this 'repair' method ... just saying that's what happened to me.

I fear HP computers have been going downhill with recent models.

HP Recommended

I've just gone through the process of debugging this problem on my g7-1070us.  At first it looked like a software problem since all the keys worked in lower case mode and all worked using caps lock.  Did all the steps metioned throughout this thread, from restarts to battery resets and driver re-instal.  Nothing worked.  Thats when I moved to the hardware soution attempt.  I re-connected the keyboard ribbon cable to the mother board and all is well now.

Because there seems to be a variety of possiblities behind these keyboard disfunction I would suggest taking it step by step. First, try cleaning then move to re-insalling the driver and/or the battey reset.  If that doesn't do it you need to consider the hardware as the problem.  If you have the patience and skill, it is easier than you think just look it up in youtube, you should try reconnecting the ribbon cable.  I would stay away from BIOS updates, unless you have some other need for it.

Thanks to all who posted their experience with this, it certainly helped me.

It is what it is until you change it.
HP Recommended

laptop G62 some keys are not responding but are opening other doors and windows

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.