Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended

I have a brand new ProBook 430 G2 (SKU # G6W35EA#ABB) with Windows 8.1, fully updated. I find that every 10-15 minutes, the left button on the trackpad becomes unresponsive. The trackpad still moves the mouse pointer and the right button continues to work, but the left button does not react. This lasts for several minutes, perhaps 3-4. Then the left button resumes working as if nothing had happened. Since the button resumes working, I suspect it is more likely to be a software issue with the driver or Windows 8.1.

I have Synaptics TouchPad driver version 18.1.8.1, the current version of the driver.

I have Windows 8.1 version 6.3.9600. 

I have Bios version HP M74 version 1.03 (07/07/2014)

Anyone have any ideas? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I've a minor breakthrough! So, far the best workaround we had found was to close the lid and open it back up and the button would start working again. Not very good when you're in the middle of doing something.

The new workaround is to do a two finger tap on the touchpad and that seems to work. I've now tried it on 3-4 laptops with 100% success!

I'm not sure if this is a 'feature' that detects the palm of your hand when you're typing or something. I haven't found anything on the driver (haven't looked very hard tbh).

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
HP Recommended

Hi,

Unfortunately, I don't have a solution for you, but we recently purchased 10 450 G2 (custom builds with 128GB SSD, 8GB, i3) and pretty much all of them have a very similar issue. The left button randomly stops working and I've been told that pressing the windows key sort of 'wakes' it up.

I set the laptops up with Win7 and installed all the updates, etc. I don't have a laptop here to see driver versions, but I'm assuming they're pretty much the latest drivers.

If I get any solution, I'll report back. Hopefully, we'll get some feedback from HP as we can't be the only ones with that issue.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply. 

I managed to convince the store to exchange the laptop with an identical model as HP Chat engineer insisted that it is a hardware fault. But I get the same issues on this second laptop. If you have been experiencing the same, then it does sound like a software bug of sorts.

I have found that if I use a USB external mouse, it continues to function correctly while the left button is frozen. By the way.

HP Recommended

On my exchanged laptop that is an identical model, I still experience the touchpad left button freezing. It is less often (once every 30-60 mins) and for shorter durations (20-30 secs), but it still happens.

Looks like laptop owners of this laptop need to expect this to happen until HP address the issue.

HP Recommended

Hi @db533 ,

I have sent you a private message. If you are not sure how to check your private messages then this post has instructions that will guide you through the process.

Regards,
George

I work for HP
HP Recommended

Hi George,

Could you please pm me or reply here if you have any information regarding the touchpad issue?

As I mentioned above, I have this issue to varying degrees on almost all of the 10 450 g2's we purchased a while ago. All with windows 7, latest drivers.

I'd appreciate any info on this.

Regards

HP Recommended
George just wrote that he has forwarded this to the appropriate team "for review", that they will contact me. So let's see how long this takes. 🙂

I'll keep you posted about any developments in this discussion.
HP Recommended

The Case ID for this issue with HP Support is [Personal Information Removed].

If you too experience this issue, please send an email to Help@HP.com with the following information:

- Your full name
- Country location
- Telephone contact number
- Email address
- Model and Serial number of your unit
- Any HP Case numbers or HP Service Ticket numbers you may have been provided by Hewlett-Packard = [Personal Information Removed]
- HP Support Forum Username

I am using a HP ProBook 430 G2 notebook, product number G6W35EA and I am running Windows 8.1 64-bit.

HP Recommended

I've a minor breakthrough! So, far the best workaround we had found was to close the lid and open it back up and the button would start working again. Not very good when you're in the middle of doing something.

The new workaround is to do a two finger tap on the touchpad and that seems to work. I've now tried it on 3-4 laptops with 100% success!

I'm not sure if this is a 'feature' that detects the palm of your hand when you're typing or something. I haven't found anything on the driver (haven't looked very hard tbh).

HP Recommended

Thanks for the suggestion. I will try it when my next "button freeze" occurs.

I still expect HP to fix the root cause of this. Even if a 2-finger tap works, it should not happen in the first place. I hope HP demonstrates that it is serious about addressing the root cause.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.