Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I wondered that myself actually, and I am waiting for the hardware people to call me.  The tech support guy said I would be receiving a call within 24 hours from the hardware team, and that they could further explain to me exactly what repairs they plan on making.  Are there any specific questions you recommend that I should ask them?

HP Recommended

I would ask for the part numbers of the hardware they plan to use. They wont be able to make it up since you can go to HP parts and look them up.

I would ask if it is a MB for another model or if it is an updated rev of the dv8 MB. I would also ask what items are being replaced and (or) upgraded during the MB swap. Are they changing out and upgrading the touch button panel harness & board or just replacing them with the same DV8 versions.

Let me know what they say.

Thanks,

Brian

HP Recommended

Thanks for your help.  I will post as soon as I hear from them.

HP Recommended

Well, all did not turn out the way we'd hoped.  The first customer service rep was indeed feeding me a story.  The hardware support people never called me.  When I called customer service again, they told me it was my fault, because I refused to troubleshoot and perform a system recovery (which was not true).  The first customer service rep told me I did not have to perform a system recovery, and the repair technician would perform one if he needed to.  So, that is why hardware re-routed the problem back to customer support.  After an hour of arguing, I was given a "Case Manager," who was all but useless.  She said there is no way of contacting the repair technicians to give them any information that is posted on this forum, because "it is not their job to worry about those things."  I then spoke to an "Escalated Case Manager," who, although polite, basically told me to do the repair (again), and hope that the repair technicians can diagnose the problem correctly, because currently there is not protocol in place for this particular issue.  He did tell me, however, that should the same issue happen again while still under warranty, the issue would receive a harder look.  (Wow, thanks for that meaningful assurance...)  So, back to square one.  I hope somebody else has better luck than I did!

HP Recommended

That's more like the HP support that I know....  I am not surprised at all. I was all set to send mine back for repair instead of looking for a solution on my own since I thought that they had an official HP fix for the defect. Looks like I will be pulling it apart now rather than later. I will let everyone know what I come up with.

I would keep calling tech support back until you get someone who has some knowledge of this issue.  Maybe you will get lucky.

I have noticed that shutting down the computer for a few minutes and pulling out the battery and holding down the power button for 30 seconds helps to drain off excess static charge when it gets really bad. It doesnt last long but it helps make it usable in the short term.

HP Recommended

Brian220X,

Any update on a re-designed grounding assembly you mentioned. This pesky problem still plagues my machine. I really dont want to send it back to HP just to have it happen again.

HP Recommended

Yes, I have ordered some thin film material samples that should help dissipate the static charge away from the touch panel. I am also trying EMI shielding around the harness and other sensitive areas. I think the ideal solution for HP would be to select more suitable plastic for the molded touch panel as well as improve grounding. I am trying to simulate that solution as much as possible without actually molding new parts.

This is %100 a static charge issue, so if I can deal with the static, the problem should be solved. If you read through some of the bios revision notes and comments, you will see an issue that HP identified as touch panel malfunction when on docking station. The cause as described by HP was a static build up when on the docking station. They did as much as they could on the software end(bios updates) but nothing for the hardware issue. This same problem plagues the laptop even when its not docked.

I have been a little slow developing a fix for this since work is taking up all of my time at the moment, but I will be able to devote some real time to this shortly.

Hang in there, your DV8T will work like it should soon...

HP Recommended

Thanks for the update. I will stay tuned and I appreciate your help.

HP Recommended

hopefully you'll get something. I have had nothing but issues with this laptop. This will be the last consumer laptop from HP I purchase. 

HP Recommended

I am having the same problems plus the WLAN self actuating. I sent the unit to HP for repair. HP claimed they diagnosed and fixed the problem. A few weeks after I received the repaired unit, I started to experience the same problems. HP wants me to send it back to them again. I told George, my Case Manager, that a second attempt doesn't make sense (what will they do differently the second time?). Nonetheless I will send it back and post the results.

This seems to be a very significant problem that HP doesn't know how to fix. I think we should all demand no cost replacements or upgrades.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.