Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

OK. Back to having the same problem.

I really notice this issue when the computer runs hot. I bought a laptop cool pad and am experiencing less wi-fi/treble/bass problems. I turned off the HP Tone Control a few days ago, and that's really helping.

I believe it to be a heat-related problem. Shame on HP for sitting on their asses. Their assistance with a clearly defective product has been **bleep**-on-a-bull.

HP Recommended

how i disabled the touch bar:
open the start menu/ windows icon ect. 
open the run command
type in "msconfig"

hit enter

click the start menu in top of the system configuration window.
now uncheck the following elements:  

(must)

"Hp Tone Control"

"Hp Wireless Assistant"

(optional)
"Hp Quick Launch Buttons"

"Hp MediaSmart SmartMenu"

now click apply and reboot your computer and you should not see your WiFi or your tone control go haywire ever again (haven't seen it on my computer for 2 months and counting) 

HP Recommended

POSSIBLE RESOLUTION: I have been reading dozens of posts and thought I would let you know what has worked for me so far.  I have tried all the suggestions and found some of them to work temporarily, but eventually the problem would return.  The Treble and Bass slider would pop up on the screen and go nuts, then the wireless would turn off.  It was driving me crazy.  After trying to solve this problem for a couple months, I think I may have found a resolution, or have found the possible cause.  I used the solution of reinstalling the IDT High Definition Audio CODEC Driver which would fix the problem except when the computer would go into Hibernation.  I found that this would immediately bring back my bug.  After reinstalling the driver I disabled anything that would cause hibernation (low battery, wait time, etc).  This so far has resolved my problem even with the HP Tone Controls and HP Wireless assistant enabled.  For those still having a problem may want to give it a go.  Remember, if your computer goes into hibernate, you have to reinstall the CODEC Driver each time.  I hope this helps someone.

HP Recommended

Hi!

I have had the same problem for the last several months with my computer.  After a month of trying to get HP support to figure out how to send me a repair box, I was able to send my computer in for repair.  They replaced the SDRAM, system board and keyboard/touchbar.  I have had my computer back for a day now and have not had any problems under heavy use. 

I had previously tried cleaning the touch bar with alcohol, flashed the BIOS, updated the drivers, and performed a full system recovery.  Nothing was a long-term solution.  Hopefully this will be the final answer with the new hardware installed. 

So, if you can find a suitable replacement computer for a week and a half, this appears to be the most effective solution.

Good luck to all!

HP Recommended

Sor far none of the solutions suggested in this forum thread has worked for me. I emailed HP contact and their solution is for me to spend hundreds more (a few months out of warranty) to have them fix a problem that is absolutley a design flaw! I will NOT be doing that since my budget was blown spending so much on this piece of HP garbage to begin with. I will NOT spend another cent with HP. Eventually I'll save enough to get an apple. For now, I do what I can in between my internet connection  flashing off and on and get more and more angry at HP and their unsatisfactory reaction.

HP Recommended
POSSIBLE RESOLUTION FAILED: I have done everything in this forum suggested and have broken down and requested for HP's assistance. I have only had this laptop 3 months and am very disappointed. I will let you know what HP does from here.
HP Recommended

I ran msconfig and disabled all the stuff on the buttons above the key board. This is definitly a hardware problem and HP needs to send me a new what ever to fix the problem.

Unlike some here, I can not afford to do with out this computer for more than a few hours. I would never send my computer to some tech guy who is going to wipe my hard drive of all my work.

Shutting off the buttons on the top does fix everything except the wifi button shutting off.

HP Recommended

To rpmresults,

I have had the same problems and have been told by HP case managers Tolga, Mitch and Angel that there are no known problems in this area.  How can they not know of this problem if so many people are complaining about it and have sent their notebooks in for repair?  They want me to send it back, but I'm doubtful that they will be able to repair it if they won't officially acknowledge the problem. 

Anyway, has the problem re-occurred since you got the notebook back from HP?  If possible, could you give us updates on how it's performing because there a lot of us with the same situation.

Thanks,

Tom McAfee 

HP Recommended

I started this post, I sent mine back a few months ago and have had no problems since.  I'm still bracing myself for the problem to occur again and rarely touch my treble/bass control, but as of yet, no problems.  I will keep you updated.

HP Recommended

After talking to HP, it appears that there is no other fix then to send the computer back.  I applied every possible fix in this forum and I would eventually begin to have the problem again.  Although, I had noticed that if I would reboot the machine when the error occurred and the machine was working normal, as long as I did not put the machine into hibernation or sleep I would not have the problem.  I also noticed that if you put any slight pressure to the upper, right corner of the slider controls (where the speaker cover joins next to the wireless on and off), the problem would occur.  I rely on my computer as I am software developer so I am super careful.  This machine has sat on top of a laptop cooler 90% of the time.  So the machine hardly gets removed unless I meet with a client.  It also get put into a very padded Targus carrier.  So for it to have received any damage at all would be nearly impossible.  This is definitely a manufacturer defect and  I really hope whatever repair they perform corrects the issue.  When I get it back I will repost what they have done and if the problem occurs again.  Good luck folks.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.