Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Problem: DPC WATCHDOG VIOLATION error & system crash.

Computer: HP ENVY dv6 Notebook PC (Windows 8.1 Update, 64-bit)

Statement: My notebook is crashing when I play video games with a blue screen and a DPC WATCHDOG VIOLATION message. This happens everytime with any game, which are not high end and that previously worked. (I thought it was my full version Norton software, which I was very happy with, so after a complete uninstall, the problem is still there.) I also recently installed the new Windows 8.1 Update, and the problem is not fixed.

There are NO virus according to Microsoft Malicious Scan Tools, or Hardware/Software problems to my knowledge. HP Repair fixed a broken screen last month, and since was shipped with Windows 8.1 with no problems until I recently installed my old games from before. (The Sims 3, Minecraft, Civilization 5). They ALL crash with DPC Watchdog Violation error.

Originally, the same games never crashed and I could even use dual monitors. I'm afraid to even use the PC, and is only being used lightly. I need help, and even though I have Warranty, I cannot find a person to chat or remote control my PC. I wouldn't care to send it back & have Windows restored again; I just want this fixed.

Full History of this Notebook:

(March 2013) Brand new PC: Windows 8, updgraded to Windows 8.1, had Windows Store/Update errors. Gaming was fine, no crashing.

(March 2014) HP Repair: Laptop slipped from hand, screen broke. Sent PC to HP Repair and it was fixed, shipped with Windows 8.1 and no Store/Update problems.

(April 2014) Recently: Installed games from before (The Sims 3, Minecraft, Civilization 5). PC freezes, and crashes about 15 minutes into the game with blue screen DPC WATCHDOG VIOLATION message. Updated to the new Windows 8.1 Update and the problem is not fixed.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hello Aztec_MC,

Welcome to the HP Forums!

I understand that the computer is experiencing a DPC WATCHDOG blue screen error. This can sometimes occur when the main drive needs to be updated. For more information on how to do this to resolve the issue, please try the troubleshooting in this YouTube video: How to Fix BSOD Dpc Watchdog Violation Error 0x00000133

If this doesn't work,  I would like you to reinstall the operating system. It will clear up any software conflicts and allow you to start fresh, likely on Windows 8.

First, please ensure you backup your files. Here is information on how to do this: Backing Up Your Files (Windows 😎

Once this is done, it is safe to reinstall the operating system. Performing an HP System Recovery (Windows 😎

Once this is done, use Windows 8 for a while. If the same situation occurs on Windows 8 or 8.1, the computer likely has faulty hardware. At that point, please contact HP phone support. You can utilize this website to learn how to contact HP appropriately, based on your region: Contact HP Worldwide

Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns, and if this helped you. Thanks for choosing the HP Forums. Have a great day!

Mario

I worked on behalf of HP.
HP Recommended

Last day, I bought a new HP laptop and I also had this issue. When even I turn on my laptop it shows this watchdog error message. It was with the issue with The graphics card drivers. You can read more about DPC watchdog violation from here.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.