Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

My Laptop is a Pavilion Dv6-6118nr.

Everytime i start my laptop itll seem as if its starting normal and then after the Welcome screen it just goes completely black when it should now show my desktop. With it being bllack i can still see my cursor but it isnt blinking or anything. I ran diagnostic tests and even restored it back to an early date to see if itd work. Any prior issues that i have ever encountered with my laptop ive always fixed but this one has realy got me stumped. The only reason imon the internet right now is because i started it in safe mode with networking. I know it has nothing to do wiith my screen or LED bc im obviously using the internet now. 

P.S My battery is messed up so it shows a message when i start which ive been aware of & will get a new one this week. Sometimes when the batt gets hot i take it out while its plugged in until it cools. I dont know if this is a frequent issue or not w HP's but if anyone has any insight as what it could probably be, itd be much obliged. Thanks in Advance. 

*Windows 7 64-bit

*HP Pavilion Dv6-6118nr

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Since your display works in safe mode it tells me its a diplay setting that is conflicting with hardware.

Boot into safe mode and right click computer and select Manage.

Prompt thru permissions. Once the console loads:

Now on the left pane, click on Device Manager.

Find the setting for Display Adapter.

Right click on your Display Adapter and select uninstall device.

Restart machine and Windows will reinstall your display adapter with defailt settings.

You may have to adjust your resolution to your likings.

Then try to find out what program caused the problem to begin with.

Hope this helps you.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hello TechyTorii,

Take a look at this page, which contains information on ordering a replacement, as well as troubleshooting steps.  Please let me know if this helps.

Good luck!

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
HP Recommended
Hey UniProg,

The issue in the first paragraph is what I'm having. As far as the battery goes I can fix that portion. It's just the black screen after welcome screen is the issue. Sorry for the misunderstanding .
HP Recommended

Since your display works in safe mode it tells me its a diplay setting that is conflicting with hardware.

Boot into safe mode and right click computer and select Manage.

Prompt thru permissions. Once the console loads:

Now on the left pane, click on Device Manager.

Find the setting for Display Adapter.

Right click on your Display Adapter and select uninstall device.

Restart machine and Windows will reinstall your display adapter with defailt settings.

You may have to adjust your resolution to your likings.

Then try to find out what program caused the problem to begin with.

Hope this helps you.

HP Recommended
Homerepairman

I did exactly as you said and when it restarted i seen my display! Of course ill definitely readjust the setting of the screen. thank you very much.

However one more thing, now that my screen is on, it's tending to be very... Slow ...for example I've clicked on google chrome about 4 times already and the blue circle loads and nothing comes up. Any thing I click sticks or freezes. If it's not one thing it's another 😞
HP Recommended

Hi,

Glad to hear your display is working again.

I dont know how the display adapter could affect your browser.

Have you tried a cleaner like CCleaner ?

I highly recommend CCleaner. Not a mistype.

Search for it and its a freebie that works and is endorsed by Msoft.

Also.

Have you defragged your drive lately or even regularly?

For that I recommend Puran Defrag, again its free and works great.

If you try it, change the setting to move files to the front of drive for Windows to off.

Windows doesnt like it and its a waste of time.

Check also your display driver is current. Windows may have installed an old one.

HP Recommended

Hi, the issue with black screen on boot up may not be battery related it could be a virus or malware or a corrupt MBR . Firstly boot to advanced boot options (F8) on startup then goto safe mode with command prompt (hit enter ) make sure when command prompt is visible the it is using c:/ if so type  fixmbr ( enter ) and then type  fixboot ( enter ) when done type  exit ( enter ) and reboot your machine to see if your machine now boots . Checkurtech

****Click the White Kudos star to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
HP Recommended
but after this my laptop speed become too slow
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.