Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion dv6-7029wm
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hi,

The screen to my laptop has been shattered for quite some time now and I've been trying to figure out how to be able to view the BIOS on an external monitor.

I've tried pressing f2, f8, f10, and esc on startup and trying to use f4 to switch the display to no avail.

As a side note, when I press f10 if I try to press any of the f keys afterwards my computer makes a high pitched beep, I don't know if that means anything but I feel like it's worth mentioning. I use an external keyboard so I don't have an fn key, if that matters at all.

Lastly, I've tried to disconnect the lcd before but my attempts at taking apart my laptop in the past haven't exactly gone well and I don't trust myself to do it without ruining things further.

Is there anything I can do about this, or am I out of luck?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I'm afraid you're out of luck when it comes to displaying BIOS on external monitor. The F4 switch only works once the machine is booted.Same goes for doing a System Recovery-many have posted asking how to see recovery screens on external monitor..can't be done.

Your Maintenance and Service Guide should help with reeplacing lcd.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-Pavilion-dv6-7000-Entertainment-Notebook-PC-series/5226230/mo...

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

I'm afraid you're out of luck when it comes to displaying BIOS on external monitor. The F4 switch only works once the machine is booted.Same goes for doing a System Recovery-many have posted asking how to see recovery screens on external monitor..can't be done.

Your Maintenance and Service Guide should help with reeplacing lcd.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-Pavilion-dv6-7000-Entertainment-Notebook-PC-series/5226230/mo...

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

HP Recommended

Ah, that's too bad. Alright, thanks for your help though!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.