Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Envy 15x360
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

When I turn on my Envy , screen says Smart Disk Error 

Hard Disk 1(301). When I run system diagnostics, Memory Test passes but Hard Drive Quick Check says:

Smart Check: Not Installed 

Short Dst: Not Installed 

Does this mean the hard drive needs to be replaced. Any help would be appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@bppc wrote:

Thanks for the reply . When I exit systems diagnostics, screen reads :

Boot Device Not Found 

Please install an operating system on your hard disk.

Hard Disk (3FO)

I'm not sure if that's what you mean by failure ID.

Hi bppc,

Boot device not found means your computer's hard drive crashed. Either you check the hard drive inside your laptop to check if its loose and rereseat it or call hp and have your computer fixed. They will likely replaced it with a new one if your computer is under warranty and within US.

"Education costs money; so does Ignorance"

If my post has helped you, click the Kudos Thumbs up!
If it solved your issue, Click the "Accept as Solution" button so others can benefit from the question you asked!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@bppc wrote:

When I turn on my Envy , screen says Smart Disk Error 

Hard Disk 1(301). When I run system diagnostics, Memory Test passes but Hard Drive Quick Check says:

Smart Check: Not Installed 

Short Dst: Not Installed 

Does this mean the hard drive needs to be replaced. Any help would be appreciated.

Hi,

The answer is Yes. Theres a high possibility that the computer's hard drive gone bad and needs to be replaced. If you manage to have a failure ID I could help you identify which exact component of the computer crashed.

If it solved your issue, Click the "Accept as Solution" button so others can benefit from the question you asked!

HP Recommended

Boot Device Not Found 

Hard Disk (3FO)

HP Recommended

@bppc wrote:

Boot Device Not Found 

Hard Disk (3FO)

Hi bppc,

Boot device not found means your computer's hard drive crashed. Either you check the hard drive inside your laptop to check if its loose and rereseat it or call hp and have your computer fixed. They will likely replaced it with a new one if your computer is under warranty and within US.

HP Recommended

Hi ichi730,

I reseated the hard drive as you suggested and the problem remains. The computer is no longer under warranty so I'm thinking of replacing it myself. I'm also thinking of upgrading from a 750 gb to a1 tb hdd. Do you know if it's simply a matter of swapping out drives and installing the HP recovery media discs. 

Thanks,bppc

HP Recommended

Hi ichi730,

I replaced the hard drive as you suggested and I'm up and running again. Thanks for all your help.

Sincerely, bppc

HP Recommended

@bppc wrote:

Hi ichi730,

I replaced the hard drive as you suggested and I'm up and running again. Thanks for all your help.

Sincerely, bppc

Welcome! Cheers!!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.