Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Dv6-137 8nr
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

I can't make it to Windows Login Screen, please help. Here is a walkthrough of what I see:

-I press the Power Button to Turn on the Laptop

-HP "Invent" Logo Shows with ESC Menu Option at Bottom Left of Screen

-WINDOWS ERROR RECOVERY Message Appears "Windows failed to start. A recent Hardware of Software change might be the cause. If windows files have been damaged or configured incorrectly, Startup repair can help diagnose the problem. If Power was interrupted during startup, choose to start windows normally"

with options:

• Launch Startup Repair (Recommened)
  • Start Windows Normally
  1. 1. IF I choose to START WINDOWS NORMALLY

the "Starting Windows" Screen Appears with the animated red, green, blue, yellow, windows graphic. This screen stays up for about 1 minute and then takes me back to WINDOWS ERROR RECOVERY black screen.

2. IF I choose LAUNCH STARTUP REPAIR (RECOMMENDED)

A load screen appears "Windows Is Loading Files". 10 seconds later the screen goes black (but still lit) for nearly a minute. A low pixel blue windows background appears along with cursor.

Next the RECOVERY MANAGER window pops up with options:

• -I need help immediately
  • -I'd like to identify any problems
  • -I'd like to take precautions

3. The only available option, not blacked out is I'd like to identify any problems: "Run Computer Checkup"

4. I highlight "Run Computer Checkup", click NEXT and new screen gives me only 1 of 3 options

• Launch Check Disk for the Windows Partition (blacked out)
  • Launch Check Disk for the Recovery Partition (blacked out)
  • Open A Command Prompt

5. I highlight "Open A Command Prompt", Click NEXT:

A Black command prompt window (Administrator:X:\Windows\System32\Cmd.exe) appears:

In the box: Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7600]

X:\Windows\RM>

NOW WHAT?

6. If I now EXIT, a pop up "Do you wish to exit Recovery Manager and reboot?"

-I click OK

7. BACK to WINDOWS ERROR RECOVERY screen

ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED, I cannot access a recovery point, I'd like to not have to FACTORY RESET... fingers crossed.

Thank You!

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi there @RobHP1234

Thank you for joining in on the HP Support Forums and Welcome! This is a great place to ask questions, find solutions and get help from others in the community! I read your post on the HP Support Forums. I wanted to reach out to you and help! I understand that you are receiving an error that says "Error: Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might have caused the issue after you install Windows Updates." 

There is a document from HP called Windows Error Recovery: Windows 7 failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the...

Did you happen to do any Windows Updates?

Did you install any new programs?

Did you uninstall anything?

Do you happen to have recovery disc's?

Microsoft says: "To Fix this, follow the steps in method 1, it that doesn’t fix the issue, follow the steps in method 2.

Method 1: Use the Last Known Good Configuration to start Windows

When starting the PC using the Last Known Good Configuration, your computer starts with the configuration from the last time your PC booted successfully. To do this, follow these steps:

• Click the Start button, then click the arrow next to Shut Down, then click Restart.
  • As your computer starts, press and hold the F8 button. If the Windows logo appears, you'll need to try again by shutting down and restarting your computer.
  • On the Advanced Boot Options screen, use the arrow keys to highlight Last Known Good Configuration (advanced), and then press Enter. Windows will start normally.
If you still can't boot into Windows successfully, proceed to Method 2.

Method 2: Use the Startup Repair feature

Startup Repair can detect and fix certain types of system problems that might prevent Windows from starting.

To run Startup Repair using preinstalled recovery options:
  • Restart your computer using the PC's power button. Do one of the following:
    • If your computer has a single operating system installed, press and hold the F8 key as your computer restarts. You need to press F8 before the Windows logo appears. If the Windows logo appears, you need to try again by waiting until the Windows logon prompt appears, and then shutting down and restarting your computer.
    • If your computer has more than one operating system, use the arrow keys to highlight the operating system you want to repair, and then press and hold F8.
  • On the Advanced Boot Options screen, use the arrow keys to highlight Repair your computer, and then pressEnter.
  • Select a keyboard layout, and then click Next.
  • On the System Recovery Options menu, click Startup Repair, and then follow the on-screen instructions.
To run Startup Repair using the Windows installation disc or a system repair disc:

• Insert the Windows 7 or Windows Vista installation disc or a system repair disc, and then shut down your computer.
  • Restart your computer using the computer's power button.
  • If prompted, press any key and then follow the instructions that appear.
  • On the Install Windows page, or on the System Recovery Options page, choose your language and other preferences, and then click Next.
  • If you're using the Windows installation disc, click Repair your computer.
  • Select the Windows installation you want to repair, and then click Next.
  • On the System Recovery Options menu, click Startup Repair, and then follow the on-screen instructions."

Source: Error: Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might have caused the issue aft...

Please let me know if I answered your question by clicking the 'Thumbs up' if the troubleshooting steps in this post resolved the issue for you please click the 'Accept as Solution' button. This will allow other's who have the same issue to find the solution also. If you require further assistance, I would be more than happy to continue to help you. Please just re-post with the results of the troubleshooting. 

Thanks! 🙂

EmeraldAvenger
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Hello, thank you.

The only page I am able to access and make any changes in at this point is the ESC Startup Menu

F1 System Information

F2 System Diagnostics

F9 Boot Device Options

F10 BIOS Setup

F11 System Recovery

I've tried holding F8, and the computer will just beep from pressing it down.

From Boot Device options, selecting and pressing enter will just bring me back to Windows Error Recovery.

Selecting System Recovery brings me to the windows logo and back to the loop of Recovery Manager and Command Prompt.

From SYSTEM DIAGNOSTICS:

Start-Up Test Failed

100% of the system memory tested OK

Memory test pass

Primary Hard Disk Self Test

Quick Test

STUCK at 06% ..

IN RED- Hard Disk 1 Quick (303)

Smart Check

IN YELLOW- Hard Disk Smart Passed

Run-In Test same as startup

Hard Disk Test

IN RED Hard Disk 1 Quick (303)

IN RED Hard Disk 1 Full (305)

YELLOW Hard Disk SMART Passed

If my Hard Drive is Full, is there a way to get in and free space onto another drive without having to remove it manually?

THANKS for all the help 🙂

HP Recommended

Hi there @RobHP1234,

Thank you for joining in on the HP Support Forums and Welcome! This is a great place to ask questions, find solutions and get help from others in the community! I read your post on the HP Support Forums. I wanted to reach out to you and help! I understand that you received two error codes on your HP Pavilion dv6-1378nr Entertainment Notebook PC. 

Do you have recovery disc's? 

You should be tapping F8, not holding it down, to access Safe Mode. You have to press the button continuously until the Safe Mode options appear. 

The information that I found about 303 and 305 codes are that they most likely represent that the Hard drive is failing. 

Please read the document called Backing Up Your Files. This will provide you with ways to back up the files you have on your Notebook.

Here is a document called Hard Drive Failure Errors. Did you happen to see a SMART error message on your Notebook at all? To quote the document provided "Most HP Notebook PCs have SMART (Self-Monitoring Analysis and Reporting Technology System) capable hard drives." Sometimes if your have a SMART capable Hard Drive, you can get an error message that states the hard drive is failing, but it could be solved with a defragment or a hard drive firmware update. 

Have you tried performing a hard reset? If not, please try performing the hard reset. Before you do the hard reset, please remove any and all USB devices from your Notebook as these may cause complications. 

Here is a Video that might help. It shows you how to reseat the HDD, which sometimes helps.

Here is a link to check to see if you are in warranty. Please use the following link to create yourself a case number:

Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect
Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"
Step 4. Scroll down and click on HP contact options - click on Get phone number

Case number and phone number appear.

They will be happy to assist you immediately.

Please let me know if I answered your question by clicking the 'Thumbs up' if the troubleshooting steps in this post resolved the issue for you please click the 'Accept as Solution' button. This will allow other's who have the same issue to find the solution also. If you require further assistance, I would be more than happy to continue to help you. Please just re-post with the results of the troubleshooting. 

Thanks! 

EmeraldAvenger
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended
can't make it to Windows Login Screen, please help. Here is a walkthrough of what I see:

-I press the Power Button to Turn on the Laptop
-HP "Invent" Logo Shows with ESC Menu Option at Bottom Left of Screen

-WINDOWS ERROR RECOVERY Message Appears "Windows failed to start. A recent Hardware of Software change might be the cause. If windows files have been damaged or configured incorrectly, Startup repair can help diagnose the problem. If Power was interrupted during startup, choose to start windows normally"
with options:
Launch Startup Repair (Recommened)
Start Windows Normally
1. IF I choose to START WINDOWS NORMALLY
the "Starting Windows" Screen Appears with the animated red, green, blue, yellow, windows graphic. This screen stays up for about 1 minute and then takes me back to WINDOWS ERROR RECOVERY black screen.

2. IF I choose LAUNCH STARTUP REPAIR (RECOMMENDED)
A load screen appears "Windows Is Loading Files". 10 seconds later the screen goes black (but still lit) for nearly a minute. A low pixel blue windows background appears along with cursor.

Please help me... i really need my laptop right now...
Thank you
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.