Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Elite x2 1012
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

When booting my Elite x2, the system starts with the HP Drive Encryption. I have several options to login:

- Using fingerprint (works and is reported correct)

- Password (works and is reported correct)

- Spare key with three secret questions (works and is reported correct)

But ultimately, neither of the three options makes the system boot. The error I see is:

TPM authentication failed (0xb0000121)

So, after a month of functioning well, the device now suddenly is 'dead' and I can't do anything with it. 

Apart from being a businessmodel, I don't understand what went wrong here and how it is possible for a device that should be reliable....

Anyone who can give me a clue?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
The Elite was returned to HP and they didn't know how to solve it. Th device was replaced. A big, big, flaw of the device. It can't be trusted. No HP for me anymore, regrettably.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

I also have this issue.  HP support in Australia has no help to offer.  Did you manage to find a fix?

HP Recommended

When I called HP on this issue, 2nd level support made the deciison that the error message "TPM authentication failed (0xb0000121)" indicates that the system board needs to be replaced.  1st level support then told me that because I had used the HP Client Security program to set pre-boot and disk encryption that the system board replacement was a chargeable repair.  I escalated this to HP's customer relations team who made the same determination and then sent me a quote for $2,100.  When I escalated to local in-country management, HP quickly overturned the CRT's flawed decision and the replacement was performed under warranty.

Even after the system board replacement, I was left with an encrypted hard drive that I couldn't decrypt.  So, I had to reset the hard drive to factory default from the recovery DVDs.

So, a word of caution to everyone regarding the useuse of the HP Client Security application: HP support doesn't actually have any familiarity with the application and they don't understand what it does, and so they will make decisions that fly in the face of rational thought.

HP Recommended
The Elite was returned to HP and they didn't know how to solve it. Th device was replaced. A big, big, flaw of the device. It can't be trusted. No HP for me anymore, regrettably.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.