Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

My notebook worked 2 days ago...and then intermittently last night.  I receive the message the system bios...operation of a notebook pc for an extended period of time without the cooling fan may result in permanent damage to the notebook pc.  Cooling Fan (902)

Then the pc shuts down...everytime I turn it on.

Is there any help for this notebook?

HP Pavilion dv6

Model dv6-2151cl

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

Hi,

Please refer to the link below:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02066988

Regards,
Deka
----------------------------------------
**I work for HP.**Please select the "Accept as Solution" button on the post that best answers your question. Also, you may select the "Kudos" button on any helpful post to give a quick thanks.
HP Recommended

the system bios has detected apossible issue with the cooling fan 902

get me solution

regards

sahniramesh

HP Recommended
The message usually indicates that the system fan is not working properly and it may need to be replaced, but there is hope yet.

Review this post. It would seem that blowing into the intake vent, usually on the bottom, did the trick for some users in that thread. A community expert made reference to this document which is a good starting place to reduce notebook heat and cleaning the vents.

If you are able to get back into Windows, I highly recommend ensuring the BIOS is the most recent version by visiting your notebook's support page. This can be done by going to http://goo.gl/hOm3, clicking on support and drivers, entering the notebook model in the software & drivers box, and pressing enter. Select the appropriate operating system and the available downloads should be listed. Select BIOS and note the most recent version. Press Fn + Esc on the notebook and compare the installed BIOS version to the one on the site. If it is not the same, then update the BIOS accordingly.

If the above does not work for either of you, please respond with the exact model of the notebook.
NOTE: Do not provide the serial number.

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
HP Recommended

I have a HP G62-144DX Notebook and I am getting the "The System BIOS has detected a possible issue with the cooling fan....

Cooling Fan (902) Error.

The computer stays on for about 15 secs and then will turn off.  I can not advance from this screen.

What I have done.

I have taken the computer apart removed the motherboard and clean the fan.  

I reassembled the computer and attempted to reboot.

Error persisted...

I attempted to do a "hard reset" as described on teh HP site. (remove the batter and all other power sources, hold down the power button to drain any residule power, replaced the batter and the AC power supply)

I re-attempted to boot computer, but the error message persists.

Please help!  How do I get the computer to boot?

HP Recommended

Hello Davesfcm,

You are stating that your computer is giving you an error message Cooling fan (902) error, is that correct? I will be happy to help you.

Since you have already broken down the computer to clean the fan, normally I would recommend a BIOS update if one is available. But because your computer won’t stay on long to try an update if you did try one and the computer shut down it may crash the motherboard and we don’t want that.

I am not currently aware of your warranty status with your notebook but here is a link that will confirm it. If you are still covered under warranty I would recommend you reach out to the HP help desk to set up a repair.

Please respond back at your earliest convenience.

Thanks

Clicking the White Kudos star on the left is a way to say Thanks!

Clicking the 'Accept as Solution' button is a way to let others know which steps helped solve the problem!
HP Recommended

I have had the computer for a while so I would guess it is not under warranty.  Anything I can try from here?

Thank you

HP Recommended
System is not under warranty per the link that you sent me.
HP Recommended

@ Davesfcm,

With the computer being on for only about 15 seconds or so there isn’t much you can do in that length of time. Because you have already cleaned it and that didn’t make too much of a difference your best bet would be to take the computer somewhere locally. There is a good chance that the fan might need to be replaced.

Please respond back at your earliest convenience.

Thanks

Clicking the White Kudos star on the left is a way to say Thanks!

Clicking the 'Accept as Solution' button is a way to let others know which steps helped solve the problem!
HP Recommended
If I were to replace the fan would that possibly do the trick?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.