Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

I was given an HP Chromebook 11 by my school. This charging issue has become very common. I have had this exact issue happen to me at least five times. I have discovered that the common issue is the inside piece of the charging port. It tends to bend down. This means that everytime you insert your charger the piece will not go inside of the charger itself, which is required to charge. You should try to bend the little piece inside the port back up. It is difficult, but it can be done without taking the computer apart. I use a variety of objects: playing cards, credit cards, paper clips, finger nails, the charger itself, etc. I hope this helps anyone else who has this issue.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the great tip.

Fortunately, or unfortunately, I complained to the fine folks who made it and received a brand new one in exchange for the old one.

However, I'll be keeping this in Evernote so if it happens with the new Chromebook, I'll know what to do.

Again, thanks for stopping by to help out.

HP Recommended

This author is correct.  My led next to the ac power would blink, at times... flash at times, or just not come on.  It wasn't making a connection because it had bent down from pluggin' and unplugging my machine.  I took fingernail clippers(the flat file part), and gently raised the connection upward, and my laptop connected like normal.  Led light came on and machine charged as normal with led light on.  Just a bad design build, IMHO.... I had taken the large blue backing off and was going to attempt the battery port removal, but it looked too risky for me!  Try lifting the inner connection up first, very gently with steady pressure.... joshua

HP Recommended

Twice, my HP Chromebook had the situation where the charging light would not come on and the chromebook would run out of battery.   This happened five months and just now.

This problem has been going on for at least 5 months and I'm very surprised that HP Support has not come with a better, searchable answer!!!   

Let me re-iterate - I had to search youtube and find my answer from a 12 year old kid.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUjaxHSGSPk   I posted this solution back 5 months ago in the HP Forum on Chromebooks...trouble was it was too hard to find!

I do like my HP 11 chromebook because of the weight and keyboard - However, if you want non-buffering interrupted video streaming performance - this unit sucks because it lacks ram/cpu (compared to my other 3 windows laptops in my household on the same wifi network).  HP Support's only answer was...we'll get this information back to Product Management.

HP Recommended

i used a pocket kife to bend it upward, but the crome book still wont charge or turn on

HP Recommended

I have had the same/similiar issue.  Chromebook would not accept the charger, no light, nothing.  I started to do what the 12 year old You Tuber suggested.  However, i could not get the cover off easily so i opted to call the helpdesk first.  The quick fix they gave me worked.

You press the power button at the same time as the refresh button (the circular arrow).  Hold for a few seconds.  My light came on and Chromebook is charging.

I think we all go to the web for solutions these days but the helpdesk was a better option for me.

HP Recommended

Were you ever able to get a resolution to your issues with the G1 chromebooks? I have several that are bricks, as well, and HP doesn't seem to care that about 25% of the computers that we bought can't even make it two years.

HP Recommended

My sons HP Chromebook 11 11-2101tu  just failed in the same way. If it is a design flaw in the mainboard, it could be a problem because according to http://store.emprgroup.co.nz/p-401064-790939-001.aspx the same mainboard is used in these models:

HP Chromebook - 11-2101tu - K5B38PA
HP Chromebook 11 G3 - K1T21AA
HP Chromebook 11 G3 - K3B69PA
HP Chromebook 11 G3 (ENERGY STAR) - K4J87UA
HP Chromebook 11 G3 - K1T20AA
HP Chromebook 11 G3 (ENERGY STAR) - K4J86UA
HP Chromebook - 11-2102tu - K5B41PA
HP Chromebook 11 G3 - J4U52EA
HP Chromebook 11 G3 - J4U53EA
HP Chromebook 11 G3 Base Model - K3J32AV
HP Chromebook 11 G3 - K1T30AA
HP Chromebook 11 G3 - K1T29AA
HP Chromebook 11 G3 - K7C31PA
HP Chromebook 11 G3 - K7V53PA
HP Chromebook 11 G3 - L0V08PA
HP Chromebook 11 G3 - K4M66LA
HP Chromebook 11 G3 Base Model - K3J30AV
HP Chromebook 11 G3 - K7C33PA
HP Chromebook 11 G3 - K4K08LA

Good news is this mainboard is available second hand on Ebay, so I'm going to give that a spin. Not much point paying NZ$400+ for the new part when I can buy the next G4 model for NZ$321 here.
But I hate throwing away otherwise perfectly good electronics.
HP Recommended

Hello Thank you for posting in this thread. Unfortunately, I have closed this thread to help keep comments current and up to date. If you have any additional information, we recommend edit or start a new post. To be more helpful with your post, you can add key information if you desire: 1. Product Name and Number (please do not post Serial Number) • Example: HP Pavilion DV2-1209AX or HP Deskjet 3000 Printer CH393A 2. Operating System installed (if applicable) • Example: Windows XP, Windows Vista 32-bit, Windows 7 64-bit 3. Error message (if any) • Example: ""Low disk space"" error in Windows 4. Any changes made to your system before the issue occurred • Examples: Upgrading your Operating System or installing a new software; or installing new hardware like a printer, modem, or router. If you have any other questions about forum posting, please feel free to send me a private message! Thank you

I work on behalf of HP. I am a Moderator on the HP Support Forums.
HP Recommended

@viknet wrote:

Hi all.

I faced same problem tomorrow. My chromebook discharged down to 0 and shutdown.
Charging light doesn't light even after night on charger.

But today I tried some stupid and reckless things and it helps!

First of all, you need to open bottom case. There are hints about how it can be done: http://www.anandtech.com/show/7418/hp-chromebook-11-review

And now interesting part:
1) Make sure charger is not connected
2) Pull out battery connector and wait about minute: https://plus.google.com/photos/109955481989177063222/albums/6012256117845139825/6012256117803552962
3) Plug in charger in chrome book and wait several seconds after light is up
4) (!) Carefully pull back battery connector.
Next seconds may resurrect you chromebook or kill permanently 🙂

In my case, charging light turn to red, but couple seconds after turn yellow again and charging started.
After half an hour I open lid and chromeOS booted.

Good luck everyone.

This some times works, if under warranty just send in to HP. Otherwise good luck.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.