Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Probook 470 G4
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi all

I am not able to boot from USB HDD on my brand new Probook 470 G4 .

I take the message "selected boot image did not authenticate".

I followed suggestions from other topics like disable secure boot and enable Legacy Support but w/o any result.

I tried to boot from various different bootable USB devices but always I take the same message.

I tried to make bios upgrade but I have the latest version for my machine (P85 Ver. 01.02 08/30/2016)

I use HP Computers the last 17 years I am very pleased and familiar with all features and I never had any issue but this time I am stack

I would apreciate if somebody has an idea or any suggestion.

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@mkart

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

First of all, your PC is not going to boot from an external hard drive no matter what you do.  Windows simply doesn't boot from external drives like that.

Second, if you have a USB boot stick and have confirmed that it boots in other PCs, then there definitely is a problem with USB booting with your PC.

You paid for free HP Tech Support as part of the warranty coverage, so you might as well make use of it.

While this PC is still under warranty, you should contact HP Customer Support directly to have them put you in touch with HP Technical Support to see what they can do about troubleshooting and repairing your machine remotely.

If you live in the US or Canada, contact information is on this page: http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/phone-assist.html#section1

If you live elsewhere, contact information is on this page: http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-contact-us.html

NOTE: After you get through, stay on the line until you are finally able to talk to some one -- it can take a while!

If you have trouble finding a phone number, then try: 1 (800) 474-6836
---------------------------------------
However, HP Customer Support is generally not available on the weekends, so you might have to wait until Monday to contact them.
---------------------------------------

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

@WAWood

Thanks for your quick reply.

I am not trying to boot Windows.

I have various USB Sticks wich boots on any other PCs that I tried.

These USB sticks contains various bootable software as Clonezilla, Kaspersky Rescue DIsk, GParted, Windows 7 Installation, Ubuntu Linux Installation  etc.

I am completely stuck. I tried all compinations of secure boot options without any result. I suspect hardware problem or buggy BIOS. Do you believe it could be possible?

Thank you anyway

HP Recommended

Hi,

similar problem here with an Elitebook 1030 G1 (and in the past with an 820 G3, which i send back because of this behaviour):

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Business-Notebooks/HP-Elitebook-1030-G1-USB-Legacy-Boot-not-possible/m...

Seems to be a more widespread problem...and looks like a faulty bios...or a non-selfexplaining set of UEFI-Setting is needed.

Kind regards,

HPUser2k15

HP Recommended

hi all

try this go to bios. then to secure boot in advance option choose legacy enable disable secure boot check  clear secure boot in menu then unchecked this enable MSuefi CA key checked photo   then save and reboot go to bios you will have this message with 0211 i get this random number just read the message then press the given number 0211 then enter. you will be directed to bios check if uefi boot or legacy is not greyscaled anymore i unchecked uefi it and works like charm by the way i enter the bios to factory default then this happen to me.

the unit im working on is elitebook 840G3

download.png

HP Recommended

Many thanks for pointing this out.  I wish I had known earlier!

This also works on a ProBook 470 G5 (from 2018).

Basically, the single SecureBoot enable/disable checkbox from the older HP BIOS (e.g. the HP ZBook G3 or G4) has been split into two parts: Legacy and Secure Boot.

Legacy is still needed for things like cloning, but SecureBoot prevents changing the boot OS, which prevents you from booting an OS from a drive other than the Windows drive provided from the factory.

The random number prompt and extra reboot confirms that you are sat in front of the computer as the boot drive is being changed, and that you are ok with that.

It used to be a case of changing the boot order, and making your USB/DVD come before the factory-fitted drive, but not any more; for better or worse. 

Unfortunately, there's no mention of any of this in the pamphlet that tells you how to plug in the power and where things physically are around the laptop case.  So here I am on forums and youtube, on day 1.

I think it would be worth including a booklet about the BIOS, or a link to online guide about it.  If there are concerns about security, then it could explain that the SecureBoot option is really only effective in preventing boot drive changes if there's also a BIOS password etc.

Without this advice, it appears to me that UEFI SecureBoot is used as more of a convenience to support a bias towards Windows than the security feature that it is generally intended to be.

HP Recommended

HI AT ALL,

I HAVE A PROBLEM WITH BOOT OF USB STICK IN HP PROBOOK 470 G5. I HAVE ENTERED IN BIOS SETUP AND DISABLED SECURE BOOT WITH ENABLE LEGACY BOOT, BUT USB STICK WITH ACRONIS TRUE IMAGE DOESN'T START.

furthermore i have cleared all boot key on bios, but nothing  is changed

I WOULD SIMPLY MAKE A BACKUP OF HARD DRIVE OF PROBOOK.

I HAVEN'T SOLUTION FOR THIS ONE.

CAN YOU HELP ME PLEASE ?

THANKS IN ADVANCE 

HP Recommended

This solution worked for me. Thanks

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.