Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Probook 430 g2

I have a HP Probook 430 g2 notebook I bought on ebay, it is BIOS Password locked and I don't know the password. serial number is: [edit].
I have a photo of the product info screen if you need it, I appreciate your help in unlocking it, thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

HP support got back to me and opened a ticket, received the SMC.bin file and got it unlocked.

I dealt with Dell, Toshiba and samsung a lot, HP is by far the most helpfull through their support system, sometimes that's all what it takes to edge the market, be nice not just to customers, but to all, for all will become customers!

Thanks all

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hello @tahz,

We are sorry as there is no master password or generator for EliteBooks or ProBooks.

This is to inform you that all HP Business Notebooks such as Probooks  or Elitebooks have more stringent security than consumer models infact they don't produce 'halt codes', the password cannot be derived from the Serial Number and the code is stored in non-volatile memory so removing the RTC cell will not reset the password in this case.

1. Please Contact HP Business Notebook support they should be able to send you a customized SMC.bin file which you can use at boot to reset the password.

When talking to the HP rep ask them to escalate your service request.

Hope this helps, for any further queries reply to the post and feel free to join us again !!

**Click the White Thumbs Up Button on the right to say Thanks**

Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

Thank You,

GBL84

I am not an HP Employee 

HP Recommended

I tried support but can't get nowhere, I'll keep trying. The warranty has expired and can't get access to proper support.

I have faith in HP as I did this before and got an email which solved the problem by sending me an SMC.BIN when I provided a screen scan / photo of the product info.

HP Recommended

HP support got back to me and opened a ticket, received the SMC.bin file and got it unlocked.

I dealt with Dell, Toshiba and samsung a lot, HP is by far the most helpfull through their support system, sometimes that's all what it takes to edge the market, be nice not just to customers, but to all, for all will become customers!

Thanks all

HP Recommended

Hello @tahz,

You're very Welcome !!

If you are happy with the help you received it is customary to mark the actual answer with information as the "Solution"  rather than your thank your post.

All the Best !!   Thanks for being a member!

**Click the White Thumbs Up Button on the right to say Thanks**

Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

Thank You,

GBL84

I am not an HP Employee

HP Recommended

do you have hp probook 430 g2 model smc.bin file?
i need smc.bin file
Can you send it to me?

HP Recommended

@kimdo wrote:

do you have hp probook 430 g2 model smc.bin file?
i need smc.bin file
Can you send it to me?

That file is specific and unique for each machine, it's HP support you should be contacting, you give them the serial number of the machine and they send you the smc.bin file built round that serial number.  If I send you mine, it woulden't do any good as it's buil for my machine!

Good Luck

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.