Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Notebook 15-af042nl
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

The other day my Laptop started to download and install the latest Windows update but this update FAILED.

The Laptop tried to do the restore automatically but this also FAILED.

Now when it is started, it blocks on the user login screen (nice pictures sometimes) but there IS NOT the user name to login to or enter the password.

At the bottom right I can see: where you choose the language and keyboard language layout, Ease of Access, the power off and the network which has a big red "X"

Just twice since this problem started have I managed to enter the password. When it does all I can see is the Comodo Firewall Pop-up saying it is Secure. The screen is black.

So far I have done the following:

1.    Tried to refresh the PC but this FAILED.

2.    Tried to do a Start-up repair but this FAILED.

3.    Tried to do a System Restore  with the only three but these also FAILED with the following error code ( 0x80070091)

This computer has Windows 10 64bit, which I installed, but it had Windows 8 on it when it was purchased.

Any help would be grateful.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply, please keep me posted. 

Let me know if this helped. 

If the information I've provided was helpful,

Please give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Accepted Solution" and "Kudos" buttons,

That’ll help us and others see that we’ve got the answers!

Good Luck.

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Greetings @English68,

Thanks for the post and Welcome to HP Forums. 

I understand that your computer is booting to a wallpaper screen after the Windows update failed and you are unable to log in. 

Kudos to you for trying a lot of troubleshooting steps on your own.

Have you run a system test on the computer?

Have you created a recovery kit on the computer?

Recommend you to run a system test on the computer. 

Shut down the computer, disconnect any external devices connected to the computer except the power adapter.

Turn the computer ON and keep tapping F2 or ESC on startup and enter System diagnostics. Click here for assistance.

If the test fails, contact our phone support for the service options. 

If the test passes, shut down the computer. 

Turn the computer ON and keep tapping F11 to enter system recovery and perform a recovery without backing up files. 

If the recovery fails, please use a recovery kit created by you to contact our phone support to order a recovery kit for your computer. 

For other troubleshooting steps, please refer to this HP Article. 

HP PCs - Performing an HP System Recovery (Windows 10)

HP Notebook PCs - Computer Does Not Start (Windows 10)

Let me know how it goes. 

Please give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Accepted Solution" and "Kudos" buttons,

Good Luck.

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Chimney_83,

Thank you for your reply on this problem.

I've done the system diagnostics via F2 but these tests all came back OK.

When you say recovery kit, what do you mean?  

After upgrading from Windows 8 (Pre-Installed) to Windows 10, I updated the computer completely (at that time) and made a disc image (about 9 discs).     Is it this what you mean?

I have tried so far to do :  

Refresh the PC (FAILED),  System Restore with 3 different ones (ALL FAILED), Start Up Repair (FAILED). Trying to run the SFC command in CMD (FAILS) I'm told that a system repair is waiting to be done. I have restarted the computer 5 times but always get that message.

In fact, speaking to an IT expert where I work, she said that it sounds very likely that Windows has been corrupted. She said it's not the first time this has happened with Windows Updates.

More than likely I must use the image I made after installing and updating Windows 10.

If I have to use that Image, would it still have ALL the programs that were originally on the computer when I bought it?

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply, please use the image you have created on the disc to reinstall the operating system and resolve the issue you are facing on the computer. 

Refer to this article and check if you followed the procedure mentioned in the article to create the recovery kit. 

Keep me posted. 

Good Luck.

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi,

It seems that I have to reformat the computer.

First of all, I will try the image I made with Acronis.

If that fails, I will try to do it from the image I made after installing Windows 10.

The last resort would be to use the HP Recovery partition on the computer which would install Windows 8.1

Anyway thank you for your time and help.

Kind Regards

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply, please keep me posted. 

Good Luck.

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.