Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Elitebook 850 G2
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

i enabled disk encryption (for SED) in the HP security software and then clicked 'OK' to reboot in popup to finish the config changes.  thing is, it does a full shut down not restart.  so from the first COLD boot after enabling encryption i am greeted with the winmagic password prompt, i enter my pass correctly and then it hangs on black screen with a cursor in upper left corner.

now if i hit cntrl+alt+del and it restarts it boots straight into windows.  If i get into the boot device options after the reboot part i choose the notebooks harddisk and it tells me its locked "unlock drive?"  i click yes, it also boots straight into windows.  ive tried booting to the SDWinPE disk, unlocked the drive from there too but the issue remains.  repaired BCD file. same issue.  went into disk to find the wmg file to fix that, and i see no .wmg file anywhere.  i had 2 other G2's that had the same problems 2 months ago but they had the correct .wmg files and i was able to repair the boot issues following this article.

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c04677911&sp4ts.oid=5405376

my issue is now a little different where i dont get the BCDboot error, or the linux looking error (saw both on previous G2 boot issues), just the black screen with cursor in upper left corner of the screen...

this is really flaky and unreliable behavior for a feature thats supposed to help secure your device.  why is winmagic not allowing the system to boot?!  i am at a loss why this brand new 850 G2 is failing to work after enabling the SED to do what its supposed to do (self-encrypt!) through HP branded security "tools"

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.