Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
envy 15-j144na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

i need help i have an hp notebook envy 15-j144na

when i press the power on button the power light comes on. the f12 key led stays orange. the caps lock key blinks white twice every four seconds. the screen never comes on.

when i power on i can hear the hard disk power up.

i tried taking the battery out and disconnecting ac. then pressing power button for 15seconds then attach ac and power on.

i tried removing battery and memory  and power cable. then put it all back together and power on.

i tried holding windows key and b key and pressing power on for a second but it does not enter bios update.

i tried attaching an external monitor but it doesnt show anything

when i power the laptop on the bios doesnt show if i press f2 or del or esc.

before this happened windows 10 crashed when using bittorrent then reset and now black screen from power on.

any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I left my laptop off over the weekend and it had the same symptoms.

I swapped the hard disk out for another harddisk.

The new hard disk has windows 7 on and the bios reported it couldn't boot. This was different because i could see something of the bios on the screen at least.

Then i plugged my laptop hard disk back in and the screen worked and it booted to windows.

I dont know why the laptop is now working. Very odd. I've never seen this on any previous laptops or desktops.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hello @hpenvy15-j144na,

Hi there ,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums! It is a great place to find the help you need, from other users, HP experts and other support personnel. I understand you are having issues with Computer not turning on with flashing lights.  I will be glad to help you.

I understand you have try some troubleshooting for Computer Does Not Start and Emits an LED or Beep Code.

Have you try plugging into different wall plug?

Have you removed dust from the cooling area?

The  blinking lights pattern could be BIOS.  Have you tried  Restoring the BIOS.

Please let me know how that works for you, and if it does resolve your issue, please mark this post as a solution. Kudos would also be appreciated.

Tardis40
I work on behalf of HP
Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click Kudos Thumbs Up on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

I left my laptop off over the weekend and it had the same symptoms.

I swapped the hard disk out for another harddisk.

The new hard disk has windows 7 on and the bios reported it couldn't boot. This was different because i could see something of the bios on the screen at least.

Then i plugged my laptop hard disk back in and the screen worked and it booted to windows.

I dont know why the laptop is now working. Very odd. I've never seen this on any previous laptops or desktops.

HP Recommended

the black screen has happened again.

i take out the hard disk and then reboot and see bios, after that its ok.

what on earth.

Update: Since this message I've now updated to the latest bios F.66 Rev A from 61. Hopefully this puts a stop to reoccuring black screen.

The suggestion to plug it in to another wall plug as the first solution is just silly. Whats more likely...the laptop with its own battery with a screen that wont turn on but shows leds on.......or are the electrics in my house at fault - the plug connected to a power strip supplying my external monitor which is showing power, my printer also showing power etc. No clearly the wall plug is not the problem.

Also note my system doesnt have dust in it causing this as previously sighted as a possible cause. Dust shouldn't stop a system from even showing the bios screen when switched on for a few seconds from cold.

HP Admins - note when i went to the software and drivers section for my laptop on your website and select windows 10 for my operating system no bios updates are displayed, but when i change the operating system selection to windows 8.1 i see two bios updates I can use. You should fix your website so windows 10 users can download the latest bios updates without having to select a different operating system version they dont have. Its very confusing for the average user.

I'm still no wiser why this happened but its clearly a fault with HP's new laptops and we're left solving it ourselves.

HP Recommended

I am having the exact same issue with a HP 15-b153CL Touch Screen True Vision HD.  I was using the laptop one day and all of a sudden screen went black.  The computer was still running, so I just heald the power button down until the unit turned off.  Since then it just boots but no power is getting to the screen.  I checked with a flashlight to see if the lamp burned out, but there is nothing showing.  I tried removing the batter, power button for 10 seconds and battery back in, still dead screen.  I have windows 8.1 so I dont think its a driver issue because nothing had been installed in the past 30 days.

from the internet it seems others have had similar issues, and MB had to be replaced.  The last time I saw a trend of MB being replaced it was back when the bad CAPS hit the market and DELL, HP, Gateway kepts quite, as the average consumer would end up blowing past the warranty and they would avoid having to replace the units.   But for businesses, that had computers running 24x7 it was hell times 10 to debug what was going on, but when I did find out, we had replacement MB shipped in so we could replace every computer purchased during the bad cap period.   And getting the MB before equipment failed required a simple letter, explaining the situation, and for equipment that was critical or life dependant, any resulting injury due to faulty equipment known to fail, would filed with the state under a class action lawsuit.  

Anyway, if there is a fix for this before replacing the MB let me know, otherwise going to hunt down a MB for the laptop or just get another similar one from Costco and swap the drive out so I dont need to reinstall everything again.

thanks,

Russ

HP Recommended

Since my post I've experienced the black screen problem from boot a few more times, it always happens after a windows crash or switching off the laptop during windows boot (holding down power button).

(Note this is the black screen from boot when the caps lock key blinks white twice every 5 seconds)

Still the only fix/workaround I've found is:

remove the harddrive while off,

switch the laptop on, see the 'failed to find disk' bios message, turn off

put harddrive back in then switch on.

I would speculate the harddrive is left in a bad state unexpectantly, BIOS throws a wobbly testing the harddisk and halts execution/boot, so the screen is never activated. (My solution of booting without the disk resets the bad state probably)

BIOS needs fixing HP, if you give me the source I'll fix it myself (serious offer).

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.