Post new question
Question

Student
Message 1 of 2 (72 Views)

black screen with caps/num lock flashing once every 3 seconds

[ Edited ]
Product Name: compaq presario CQ61-410US
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

my father left his computer turned off for a few days and now it refuses to start up. we currently have a black screen with the caps and num locks flashing once every 3 seconds. the wireless button has remained red (normally blue when system is operating) and the fan can be heard carrying on its normal duties. ive tried hard reseting and cleaning the ram chips to no success and applied a hairdryer to the fan to make sure the heat sink was functioning. google tells me it might be a BIOS issue or the GPU may have something wrong with it but i lack the technical knowledge to investigate this. any help would be appreciated 

edit: as a last ditch effort i placed the laptop under some sheets while it was turned on. the system built up enough heat and i was successfully able to restart the laptop and it functioned normally. i turned it off once it cooled and it wouldnt restart unless i gave it the blanket treatment. was wondering whats causing this and a fix so i dont have to roast the laptop each time 

Highlighted
HP Support Agent
Message 2 of 2 (36 Views)

Re: black screen with caps/num lock flashing once every 3 seconds

Hi @Chief8080,

Allow me to welcome you to the HP community.  A very good day to you. Smiley Happy I understand that you require assistance regarding boot issues with the notebook, where the caps lock light blinks in a sequence. Besides Print and scan doctor is not fixing it. It will be a delight to assist you. Smiley Happy

Superb description and very smart diagnosis of the issue before posting. Kudos to you on that score. Smiley Happy  .  You are a valued HP customer and it is a privilege to share this platform with you. Smiley Happy

For better clarity and to assist you better I would require more information regarding this?

• When did this happen?
  • Did it happen after a windows or software update?

It certainly looks like a hardware issue with the computer. For now please check this link out: http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/Compaq-Presario-CQ61-Notebook-PC-series/4074240/model/4121165/do... and follow the options

• Symptom: LEDs blink or computer beeps but does not start
  • Symptom: LEDs glow, fan noise is heard, but display is black or blank.
  • Before that please perform a hard reset from the same link.

Please check if this does the trick. If it does not please try to roll back the bios from this link: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02693833

Please try both options to restore the bios from this link: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02693833

If nothing works then please give it the blanket treatment and then update the bios from this link: http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/Compaq-Presario-CQ61-Notebook-PC-series/4074240/mode....

If nothing works, please consult a local technician to get the computer serviced as the issue is hardware related.

Hope this helps.  Let me know how this goes. I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great. Smiley Happy  Please reach out for any issues and I'll be there to assist you. Smiley Happy

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.

If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. Smiley Happy

Take care now and have a splendid week ahead. Smiley Happy

Davidsmp
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the Thumbs up" button!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation