Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

HI Seth  

Thank you for your reply>

I understand you are getting an error  igdpmd64.sys   and are unable to locate the KB2670838 update.  I am including a link to that  Microsoft document   (KB2670838) A platform update is available for Windows 7 SP1 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1.   click here.  You will notice a list of updates that replaces the one you listed.   Do you see one of those in the updates?  Have you updated the bios? When you ran the HP Support Assistant did it report anything?

Sparkles1

HP Recommended

Hi Sparkles1, Thanks for your reply. I used the HP system recovery and didnt manually reset the bios but if HP's inbuilt system does that then it may bave reset the BIOS as well. I did the complete recovery wherein I had to backup my files to an external drive.

I've since reset the system to before the last batch of updates. There are now 63 pending updates and I've had no crashes since then. Earlier today it was crashing every 10-15 minutes. 

That being said, I checked the pending updates for those alternate (superceeding) updates and didnt find any of them listed. This search was manual, just eyeballs. 

I also checked installed updates for them using the search feature and didn't find any of them there.

I feel certain now that it is one of those 63 pending updates. I just dont know how to find out which one nor do I see a means to install them one by one. 

HP Recommended

Ah - and the HP support assistant hasn't reported anything. 

HP Recommended

HI Seth

You should be able to select or deselect what updates to install. I am  sending you a link to a  Microsoft forum answer, please note the reply by Gerry C J Cornell on October 27,2013 (first reply on the page)    click here.  I know it will be a slow process but I would install one by one, therefore you would know which one caused the crash, if it should happen.

Sparkles1

HP Recommended
That's great thanks Sparkles1. It's a pain but I'm glad to know what I need to do!
HP Recommended

Hello Sparkles,

Thank you for your reply. I really appreciate your help, but aside from that I am kind of amazed that HP does not fix this through an auto-update, as I am just a run-of-the-mill laptop user who now owns a constantly crashing expensive laptop from HP. I don't think it's really reasonable to have me look into terms like "BIOS" and "Drivers" on a laptop that crashes every 5 minutes (it literally is..). Chances are I will only screw my laptop more than it already is now, and rebooting for the 6th time now is kind of making me frustrated (keep calm, keep calm... :))

All I want is a working laptop for the money I paid, that should seem like an issue enough to justify a few auto-updates, or even better: have HP go out to seek conversation with Microsoft to have them not cause this by updating a computer with Windows software? I am more afraid of new Windows updates than viruses or spyware at the moment, lol.

Thanks 

HP Recommended

Okay, so using my wife's non-HP laptop I downloaded the AMD graphical driver, put it on a USB-stick and installed it. As far as I can say for now, this seems to have resolved the issue. (it has been working for 1 hour continuously now)

HP Recommended

Hi MysticSunday,

Could you please tell us what HP laptop model you were working on as well as the version number of both the Intel Graphics drivers and the AMD Graphics drivers in that machine? You can check drivers versions really easily by using GPU-Z or by going into the Control Panel, Hardware and Sound, Device Manager (under Devices and Printers).

To everybody else, it seems the problem is not coming from HP but from Microsoft rather, since KB2670838 is affecting other hybrid graphics systems by other manufacturers, such as Dell and Lenovo (AFAIK). Microsoft even released a "fix" for this problem that didn't really work for me:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2834140/en-us

I do think, however, that laptop manufacturers of hybrid graphics systems stand a better chance than us common users at getting Microsoft to properly address this issue.

Thanks!

P.S.: I really don't tink uninstalling the update in question is an actual solution, since users who do so will not be able to update their Internet Explorer apps beyond IE9 (IE10 and IE11 require that update to be installed), which completely blows.

HP Recommended

Hello all,

After having un-installed Microsoft patch KB2670838 in our HP dv7 laptop, the problem disappeared and it stayed this way for a few months. Unfortunatelly, the patch was automatically re-installed as I think it is mandatory when you use Explorer 10 or 11 and AGAIN!! 😞 we got the same igdpmd64.sys Blue Screen.

I have found what seems to be the long term solution in Microsoft Support: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2834140/en-us

There is an OPTIONAL patch, which we didn't have KB2834140 which is supposed to fix the problem for ever (and you do not have to un-install KB2670838 )

We are now installing  KB2834140 and hope for a final fix.

Hoping this can help you too.

HP Recommended

Guys, it would be great if we could read each other's replies in full: I had already mentioned update KB2834140 as a possible fix for this issue and even provided a download link in my previous post. It didn't work for me, but hopefully it will for others.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.