Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

Tearsnroses,

Perhaps you can find out where the fan plugs in and unplug and re-connect it to make sure it is not a bad contact.  Sometimes this helps re-make the contact.  Just a suggestion...

Another idea is to open as many of the "doors" on the bottom (by unscrewing and opening) and then blow air into each of the computers vents.  This might allow a big piece of dust come out which might otherwise have stayed trapped even with the air blowing.

Good luck.

HP Recommended
You, sir, have saved my life lol. I was freakin out when this happened to me last night. I just started an online course yesterday. I decided to give cooling this problem a shot and found this post. I had to register to say thank you.
HP Recommended

thanks for your post my friend

my hp -->f'ed up yesterday

it turns on and off by itself, and it keeps going like that for like forever

i was watching movies and it wasnt even over heating it just turned off and cant never turn back on again

thanks for your post that tell me HP is **bleep**...........

kudo for u buddy

HP Recommended

My HP mini 110-3500 notebook is only four months old and cooling fan had a loud  hissing sound.During start-up, an on-screen warning appeared 'error 90B, the system has detected a problem with cooling fan, continued use is not recommended, running programs will corrupt and damage system blah blah and an HP website for more info''.

This continued for sometime and I was worried the computer would crush.The supplier suggested I ship it back for repairs but the cost alone was worth a new notebook.I had given up and was contemplating buying another notebook when I stumbled upon the HP communities blog site-cooling fan issues.I implemented the suggestions asap:- (i)I used a blower to blow the air vent several times, (ii) installed 'HP support assistant' which helped me flash out the old BIOS and install the latest BIOS version......& like magic the prob was fixed!!! .thanks & kudos 🙂

HP Recommended

Ok I read your post and all the others. Sounds like a plan to me. My only concern is I received the error message on the very first time turning on my laptop. I wish I had known, I probably would not have bought an HP. 

I don't think it has anything to do with dust or anything. I think there is a problem with that particular piece of hardware on the computers.  

I am still under warranty only had it for three weeks, so ya If they can't fix it it is going back. 

Thanks for your post!!!!

HP Recommended

Is there a way to access the BIOS before the 902 error message appears.  Tech guys at Best Buy said ESC but that didn't work.  I had to go to my mother's to get on a computer, and left laptop at home.  It's a dv6.  I will try air-blowing, but I don't want to keep driving back and forth.  So, how do you access BIOS?  Thanks

HP Recommended

I had the same problem, error 902 cooling fan problem. For some months, my cooling fan had some disturbing sound. It just came out of nowhere. My laptop were still working though. It continued like that for 6 months until I found the 902 error. I couldn't go to BIOS and couldn't do anything.

I tried to clean the dust in the cooling fan and blow it, like everybody had suggested, but still it didn't work. After that I opened my laptop to clean  the cooling fan from the inside. I found that was not so dirty, but still my laptop couldn't work.

In my hopeless effort, I opened the cooling fan and separater the rotating part  and the propeller and put some grease ( or oil) in the gear between the rotatting part of fan and the propeller. Voila, all the disturbing sound vanished and my laptop works without problem.

maybe you can try it, but when open the motherboard you have to be careful 😄

HP Recommended

This is the most ridiculous but best and most simple solution I've ever found concerning a laptop hardware issue! 3 years after I bought my HP DV7, fan stopped working, something was going wrong so I checked my CPU/GPU temperature (used speccy: http://www.piriform.com/speccy ) and it was boiling hot! I thought that was it, I would need to spend hundreds of dollars fixing this until I googled "hp dv7 fan stopped working" and I came upon this thread; I thought this would cost me only an air duster and a needle (which I already had) to make the fan rotate a little and to my surprize old 3 year old laptop started breathing again! FYI I've managed to dismantle my HP laptop a couple months ago to clean up the fan a little bit, let me tell you, HP doesn't make it easy! IMO they made it as complicated as possible to access this {content removed: language} fan that you can actually see in the bottom; but to access it, it will take you at leat an hour.

HP Recommended

grazie hp problema risolto con una soffiata

HP Recommended

Thank you sooooo much this happened out of nowhere I had to do it like 5 times but I got it running again!!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.