Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

There is a Fix.......  and there are Do it your self Videos  ...  to fix the motherboard, NVideo Over Heat Problem .

by adding also Solid Copper add on Heat Sink Shims ...   

DV 9000

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnkQNmKauEc&feature=pyv&ad=5823851286&kw=hp%20video%20card

DV 6000

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEpnqhRYGLw

HP Recommended

Hi,

Another option if you don't feel like doing this yourself is on the link below.

http://cgi.ebay.com/HP-DV2000-DV6000-DV9000-TX1000-Laptop-No-Video-REPAIR-/260674058980?pt=LH_Defaul...

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

i have messed with alot of these dv models they do have a few design problems. what most of you guys are describing is linked to the video chip problem. it acually effects abunch of components on the mother board. doing a reflow will not fix the blinking lights problem. what i've found is the heat from the mother board burns up a chip and then you get the 3second lights of death.

HP Recommended

The issue of the DV series turning on and right back off is indeed the Nvida video chip.......the AMD processor doesn't help matters. You need to bake the board. Here is a video showing you how to do this. NOTE: For the later DV series use a thinner piece of copper reather then the penny.   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctHTF3oNdxI

Here is a video which shows how to remove the motherboard from the DV9000  http://computerszine.com/fix-it-yourself-hp-dv9000-dv9500-laptop-motherboard-removal

I have fix about 15 of these......11 sucessfully......good luck

HP Recommended

Im   working  with a few companies on a   Low Profile Fan to be added on the Bottom of the Laptop over the  GPU Video Chip,,,  THat will Cool it, Significantly,  and yet not stick out to far...and Cure this

Right Now Deciding on Voltage OF most Likely 5 Volt  to work in Tandem with the HEat SinkFan, with a 4 wire Approach with to vary Speeds,....     Heat  ,DIrt, and Severe HP Design Flaw, is destroying THese  computers in about a Year of USe..

Were Going to Test, Fan sizes with  5 Volts, 110mAmps       40mm X  40mm X  10MM   ,       50mm X  50MM  X  15MM    ,       60 mm X  60  mm  X  10 ....   with various   CFM AirFlow to see what we get with Cooling..

Stay Tuned

Gary T

Del Mar CA

HP Recommended

FIX: on my dv9000 when this happens I simply remove the battery to stop the endless cycle of off/on then when powering up again I hold down ESC briefly when hitting the power button.

This computer was such a POS ... overheats, loud fan and various components failing due to heat over time (e.g., sound card wireless, etc.) ... throw in vista 64 bit and you have a truly horrible craptop.

HP Recommended

I too have this problem.  My machine is only 2.5 years old.  I would like to know if they are going to recall this like they did the other series.

HP Recommended

I also have a HP laptop, at school don't remeber model. (entertainment model) roughly, exactly 3 years old. Was on it today, never showing any issues, when I came back screen looked like zebra colors. turned back on and sounds like many other peoples problem. Turns on for 3 second turns off for 3 seconds and it does this till you remove battery. Can't get into bios or boot menu or to do anything. If I run without battery just plugged in does same thing. Sounds like a power connector on motherboard but every forum I have looked at no one has a resolution, yet many people have the same problem. Any help appreciated. I think HP puts smartbombs in these thing so you will buy a new laptop. Before this happened I never had one problem with the laptop, would suggest buying another, now not so much!

HP Recommended

It would be interesting to try what I did, if nothing else for a data point.

I'm experiencing the same problem. on a like vintage dv6700. I've tried all the recommended procedures to attempt fix presented on the support page (cold boot, no peripherals, etc). Tried exchanging memory. Still no go.

However, I found that if I remove the CMOS battery, and the system battery (I'm referring to the one used to run when not plugged in), unplug the machine, and wait about 5 minutes, then put just the power cord in and QUICKLY hit the power button, it will boot about one in two to three times (note: the cold boot procedure does not seem to take the place of waiting 5 minutes). It will then function fine until power down (or course, it's not portable now).

This is a significant difference to it not booting at all and just cycling on and off never showing the bios splash/boot selection/etc screen. . However, it's obviously not a working solution for daily use.

During these boots I can get into bios and run diags - no issue found. I can boot the system into vista. I tried reflashing the bios - no difference. If I put either battery back into the system, it doesn't boot. If I use any other procedure, I can't get it to boot. Hope this gives some insight to someone that might be able to offer a solution. 

As far as I can remember the when the condition started, the laptop was turned on and running, but didn't experience trauma. It just lost power, and ever since pushing the power button caused the looping power on/power off behavior.

Please to anyone that might be able to offer assistance, I'd be grateful.

HP Recommended

Mine just started doing the on/off this week as well. It's a four year old DV9000, and when I go to turn it on for the evening it does the cycling through of the on for three seconds, off for three seconds. I then hold down the power button until the entire unit shuts down.

Then I wait about 10 minutes or so (doing it any sooner than that seems to just start the cycling over), and turn it on as usual. I don't pull out the battery or the cord or do anything differently, and it comes up as it should. It's the weirdest thing and every time I do the second startup I worry that this'll be the time it just stays dead. I'm really not in the mood to do laptop shopping 😕

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.