Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
elitebook 8440p
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello!

I purchased a refurbished elitebook 8440p with pre-installed windows 7, 8GB of RAM, 2.40 GHz processor.  I continued to refuse the windows 10 upgrade when it constantly popped up, and then one day I turned on the computer and it upgraded anyway without permission.

Ever since the upgrade, if I shut down my computer, or try to put it in sleep or hibernate, when I go to wake it up or turn it on, I always get a blank screen. I generally have to turn it on and off several times before any start up screen will appear. Then half the time, when I do get a start up screen, my cursor is stuck at the top of the page and only moves left or right anytime I try to move it around. So, I have to turn off and on again until a new screen appears.

I have investigated how to remove windows 10 and reinstall windows 7. I am past the 10 day or 30 day period. The media creation tool asks for the product key which I type in from the sticker on the bottom of the laptop, but won't let me go past the verification process saying to contact the manufacturer for help.  Apparently there may be specific drivers or something that were removed when it upgraded and the media tool doesn't want to allow me to create anything to let me do a clean reinstall of windows 7.

I tried to find an f11 factory reset option after pressing esc at the start up screen. There was no option to do so. The best I could do was "reset" the computer, but it only took it back to the original Windows 10 that it first upgraded to. All my files are removed from the computer. I just want to get back to Windows 7, but can't find a successful way to do it.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

If you live in the USA/Canada, call HP at this number and order a set of recovery disks for your notebook.

1-800-334-5144

Have the serial number handy to give to the customer services rep.

A set should cost around $10 delivered via first class mail.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

If you live in the USA/Canada, call HP at this number and order a set of recovery disks for your notebook.

1-800-334-5144

Have the serial number handy to give to the customer services rep.

A set should cost around $10 delivered via first class mail.

HP Recommended

Thank you.

I don't suppose if I invoice Microsoft for the $10 it is costing me to get rid of what THEY put on my computer they would actually pay me back...

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

I guess you can always try.  :generic:

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.