10-27-2011 11:32 PM - edited 10-28-2011 03:19 PM
Hi. The CPU of my 8540p is overheating. Whenever I do processor-intensive stuff, the temperature goes up to 105 degrees and the computer is shut off. Should I replace the thermal grease of the CPU heatsink? Does it even have grease or is it using a thermal pad? The problem hadn't existed until 2-3 months.
fixed: I had cleaned it before, but apparently not properly enough. There was too much dust in the grill which probably came from using the computer in outdoor locations this summer. Now it is ~12° cooler.
12-19-2011 12:11 PM
It's very easy, have a look into the service manual: http://bizsupport2.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/S
(page 65 ff)
1. Loosen the 3 screws holding the keyboard (no need to take them out completely!)
2. Unlock the keyboard retention tabs
3. Unplug/remove the keyboard.
I used a dull-edged plastic tool to reach into the grill.
- HP PCs - Error Messages Display on a Black Screen during Startup or Boot (Windows 10, 8, 7)
- HP PCs - Error Messages Display on a Blue Screen during Startup or Boot (Windows 10, 8, 7)
- HP Notebook PCs - Computer Starts but Screen Remains Blank (Windows 10, 8)
- HP Notebook PCs - Computer Does Not Start (Windows 10)
- HP PCs - Sleep and Hibernate Issues (Windows 10, 8)