Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Hi my name is martin. can a hard drive password affect the rebooting of my laptop and how can i reset it to remove it since am afraid it would affect me in case I have to reboot. Explain to me the process of removing the password please.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@MartinMunyiri

Hi Martin, Let me take a moment to thank you for posting on the HP Support Forums. 

I understand that you would like to know if a hard drive password affects the computer from booting into Windows. Also, you would like to know how to remove the password. 

I did some research and found that when you boot your computer, you’ll need to enter the hard disk password. If you don’t know the hard disk password, your hard disk will be “locked” and won’t function.

To remove the hard drive password, you will need to perform the following steps:

• Boot the computer to BIOS.
  • Search for the Security tab.
  • Under the Security tab, there would be an option as HDD password. Select it and hit enter.
  • Now you will be prompted to enter the current HDD password without which you cannot change it or remove it. 

Hope this information helps. Keep me posted for any further queries. 🙂

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@MartinMunyiri

Hi Martin, Let me take a moment to thank you for posting on the HP Support Forums. 

I understand that you would like to know if a hard drive password affects the computer from booting into Windows. Also, you would like to know how to remove the password. 

I did some research and found that when you boot your computer, you’ll need to enter the hard disk password. If you don’t know the hard disk password, your hard disk will be “locked” and won’t function.

To remove the hard drive password, you will need to perform the following steps:

• Boot the computer to BIOS.
  • Search for the Security tab.
  • Under the Security tab, there would be an option as HDD password. Select it and hit enter.
  • Now you will be prompted to enter the current HDD password without which you cannot change it or remove it. 

Hope this information helps. Keep me posted for any further queries. 🙂

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.