Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have a HP Envy 4-1015DX laptop that will not start, display is blank. The caps lock light flashes continuously, and the F5 and F12 keys stay lit. I have removed and replaced the memory module. Is there anything else I can check?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Yes if you can't get into the HP startup menu and/or the hardwaare diagnostics then it's definitely a matter of a damager motherboard.

AlHaste - HP Notebook and Printer Technician

Were I able to help you? Please say thanks by clicking on the purple thumbs up icon over to the left
Did I solve your issue? If so, Please mark Accept As Solution to the right

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

Hi Mikeh,

Blinking in the caps lock can mean some hardware failure.

If it blinks in a kind of sequence and not continously like the flashlight of a car you can check the following link for the error description.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01443366

Please let me know if that gives you answer.

Were I able to help you? Please say thanks by clicking on the purple thumbs up icon over to the left
HP Recommended

The caps lock keeps blinking, I stopped counting at 22 blinks.

HP Recommended

Ok, there are two possible ways to start the unit if there is no hardware malfunctioning:

1: Power cycle reset

To perform that, strip the unit of all external things like USB external harddrives, headphones etc and also remove the battery and disconnect the power cord

Now hold down the power button for 40 seconds

Reinsert only the power cable and try to start up your computer.

Let me know how it works.

HP Recommended

Disconnected battery and held down power switch for 40 sec. Still no go.

I don't have the AC adapter at this time. Will that make a difference?

HP Recommended

Yes, to perform the finishing touch you'll need to plug in the power to see if it boots alright.

I'll await your reply once you get the AC adapter 🙂

HP Recommended

AC Adapter is now connected, same result.

HP Recommended

Wasn't sure whether I needed to reconnect the battery before connecting AC adapter. Tried it again with battery disconnected, after connecting AC adapter there's nothing at all, no capslock or power LED. With battery connected, same result as before, flashing capslock and F5 and F12 keys lit.

HP Recommended

Ok, then we're closing in on some serious intervention here... 🙂

Can you, at the time wher you power on your computer, try pressing the Esc key multiple times.

That should take you inot the "HP startup menu".

If you cannot get in here, you will need to send your computer for repair.

If you can, there is a chance we may be avle to solve this.

In cse you're able to get to the "HP Startup menu" try pressing the F2 button, to go into the "advanced hardware diagnostics".

In here you can perhaps see a "harddrive" or "harddisk" test.

If it's not here, it's under the heading "component test".

Once you've found and clicke the harddrive / harddisk test, choose the "extended" test and if you're asked for it, "run once".

Let me know if this test is passed, or if it fails, what exactly it fails on, and the error code you get.

HP Recommended

Still no go. Could it be the system board?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.