Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended

I have an HP laptop that keeps overheating then shuts down.  I am running Windows 7.  I have it on my lap with a desk top table with a fan running.  Is there anything I can do?  The internal fan seems to run forever.  This problem only started about a month ago even though I have had it about a year and have not changed how I operate it.

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hi,

Please try this:

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/technology-blog/keep-laptop-cool-172740363.html

I actually use coolpads for my laptops and very hot today therefore I have to bring few downstairs (My house only has aircon downstairs).

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

My 2 week old refurbished g7 1167dx cpu used to idle at 45 C until I removed the heatsink, there was some heat-transfer compound on it but was not evenly distributed across the cpu. The contact surface on the heatsink was visibly scratched so I polished it with #1500 paper,  and carefully applied a thin film of Ceramique and reassembled the laptop. Now it idles at 36C and after heavy use the cpu temperature does not exeed 52C. The interior of this laptop gets quite warm so I advise to have the fan on all the time. This can be done in bios setup. Still, the cooling is minimal. HP needs to increase the fan rpm in a new bios release. Otherwise, the system components are will have an accute rate of failure.  

HP Recommended

I've had my HP laptop for about 4 years, running Windows 7.  In the last week it's been heating up more than average and finally last it overheated and crashed.  Shut down.  I could not get it to power on again.

IDK why, but after researching on (another computer) online, I kept being told to check the power source.  I did and for some inexplicable reason pulled out the battery and only let the wall source of power run into the laptop.

IT TURNED ON!!!  For some reason, pulling out the battery and only allowing the laptop to be powered by a wall source has eliminated the problem for me.

I've been on my computer all day long, downloaded music, backed up all my files (natch), wrote and received/responded to email, left it on sleep while I ran errands and it's back to being the reliable little laptop I know so well!

I'm not guaranteeing that my solution will work for you, but I am shocked at how well it's working for me!  So try pulling the battery pack out and only running on wall power (I can't remember if that's the AC or the DC so sorry for lay terms.).  It MAY solve your problem.

HP Recommended

Sometimes overheat is caused by dirty heatsink/FAN, clean them to see whether problem solved.

I work for HP
HP Recommended

>> How to prevent and deal with overheating

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

HP Recommended

Laptop is HP about 2 years old. Overheating & shutting down problem has been happening for several months

but now is happening much more often. I can hear the fan running all the time. Have even propped up the computer about 1/2 inch to enable it to cool easier. I live in Alaska so it's not a daytime temperature problem.  🙂

HP Recommended

My G7 1167dx  post revisit------ Last summer my trusty G7 1167dx suddenly died. Nothing I tried would return it to operating condition. Finally, I ordered a new motherboard and after installing it, it would boot and then shut down after maybe 15 minutes. The cpu temperature measured by CORETEMP was averaging 128F at idle.  I removed the heat  pipe and although had I cleaned  the fan blades, I neglected to investigate further. It turned out that there are several vanes inside the heat pipe  just before the hot air exits and they were partially clogged with dust and lint.This may have killed the motherboard last summer!  After cleaning the vanes the cpu settled down to 107F at idle and seemed to run stable but while watching Netflix movies the cpu temps would spike at 145F and the laptop would shut down. Ok, I know the heat sink is now immaculate and proper thermal compound was applied. It is possible that inaccuracy of CORETEMP is not reading the cpu temperature properly yet why the thermal shut down? I wish a fan upgrade was available but I can't find one. I fiddled with power saving options concerning cpu maximum power and passive/active fan control and eventually prevented thermal shutdowns when  at 80% cpu maximum setting. Now cpu temps spike at 132F watching movies and while the thermal shutdown issue is gone, the four core cpu now has to run much slower than specs. AMD OVERDRIVE confirms the cpu is overheating.I wish there is a bios upgrade that would increase the fan speed the way the fan momentarily runs at full speed just moments after the power button is pressed. I visit this forum often now and hope someone knows a solution.    

HP Recommended

Hi @betabilly ,

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publically post ( serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Regards,
George

I work for HP
HP Recommended

Thanks George, I'm looking foward to any help at this stage of the game. Hopefully a bios update will provide for faster fan speed.  -BB

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.