Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
pavilion notebook 17 f223nr
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

my computer, on boot, will engage the fan immediately.  It sounds like it is coming from the area of the cooling fan, but I dont know for sure.  The only way I can turn the sound off is to reboot at least once, sometimes twice.  This does not appear to have anything to do with heat, because the computer is cold on boot up.  Within 20 minutes after rebooting to get rid of the loud fan noise, the noise will reappear.  I then have to go through the same sequence of reboot to get rid of the noise.  The noise is steady, no up and down.  When this first started, the noise would come on, then fade away after about a minute or so.  Now it will stay on steady until rebooted.  Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

Helmut

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi! @neuenheimer, thanks for the reply.

As you mentioned even after updating BIOS you are getting the 90b error on your laptop and fan is noisy.

It is a hardware issue please contact HP for service options.

Link to contact HP: http://hp.care/2bkTGBQ

Refer this article to know how to back data on windows 10.

Link: http://hp.care/2ekaxVg

Let me know if this helps!

Have a great day! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

Hi @neuenheimer,

Welcome to the HP Forum! It is a terrific place to find answers and tips! For you to have the best experience on the HP forum, I would like to direct your attention to the HP Forums Guide. First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

I grasp that when you power on the notebook you hear a noise around the fan area. If you reboot once or twice the noise goes away for about 20 minutes and then it will return until you restart again. Are you connecting directly to the outlet and not using a power  / surge bar?

To try and determine the cause please run hardware tests. HP Notebook PCs - Testing for Hardware Failures (Windows 10, 😎 Hopefully this will indicate where the issue lies. Please let me know the outcome. 

If a post helps you, inspires you, provides fresh insight, or teaches you something new, please consider clicking the "Thumbs Up" on that post. Should this resolve your issue, please click "Accepted Solution" to help other visitors and member alike to find what worked for you.

Sparkles1

HP Recommended

Thanks for your response.  I am hooked up direct to power without surge protector.  I will rectify this.  I downloaded the hardware testing per your suggestion.  I, however, dont have an available thumbdrive to continue, so I need to get one before continuing.  I'll repost when I have one and can run the test.  Be aware that I am a novice, not a technician, and hope that I don't screw things up.

HP Recommended

Hi @neunheimer

Thank you for the update. If you wish to run the hardware tests without purchasing a USB drive,you can do this by using the built in hardware tests. Please review the section entitled "Testing using HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI)". Of course you can always follow the first suggestion to use the latest release of the diagnostics.  Please let me know the results.

Sparkles1

HP Recommended

Thank you for your assistance.  I downloaded the latest updates and ran the extensive sytem test by booting up and entering f2 st the same time.  The test took about 4 1/2 hours.  It found no failures of any kind.   So I still have the issue of the fan or hard drive popping on noisily.  can I isolate if the noise is the cooling fan or the harddrive? I purchased a 64 gb thumb drive and will back up mirror system on it before I have a failure.  btw.  I cannot find any tests to chck out the cooling fan.

HP Recommended

Hi @neuenheimer,

I would try to reload the factory installed BIOS Setup settings. This will reset the fan settings to factory.

Let me know. Thanks.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom left to say “Thanks” for helping.:smileyhappy:

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply.  As I stated above, I am a novice.  I followed your link which told me to restart and press F11.  I cannot find any setting to refresh bios.  Could yu advise me?

HP Recommended

Hi @neuenheimer,

It will be the F10 key.

Thanks.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom left to say “Thanks” for helping.:smileyhappy:

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Thanks for the correction using F10.  So, a couple of updates.  Since communicating with you, the following message comes up at times during cold startup.

The system has detected that a cooling fan is not operating correctly.

Continued operation is not recommended and may cause unpredictable behavior that could result in random shutdown, data loss or possible system damage. The system will shut down in 15 seconds. To prevent shutdown and continue operation, press the Enter key now.

System Fan (90b)

I was able to update the bios to the latest setting.  It did, however, make no difference in fan condition.  It does definitely sound like a fan issue.  Here's the thing.  The noise is now there most of the time.  However, the computer does not have to be warm.  It makes the noise even when completely cold.  Could that still be just the fan or it is possibly something else.  btw.  How do I mirror back up my info on a jump drive.  I have a clean 64 gb jump drive I can use.  I wanty to do a backup just in case I screw things up.

I saw a couple of videos on replacing the fan.  Not too difficult, but I could not find one for this model, only older models.  Maybeyou can guide me to a video in case I have to replace the fan.

HP Recommended

Hi! @neuenheimer, thanks for the reply.

As you mentioned even after updating BIOS you are getting the 90b error on your laptop and fan is noisy.

It is a hardware issue please contact HP for service options.

Link to contact HP: http://hp.care/2bkTGBQ

Refer this article to know how to back data on windows 10.

Link: http://hp.care/2ekaxVg

Let me know if this helps!

Have a great day! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.