Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

My HP Pavilion (product B5R67UA#ABL, model g42189ca) started acting like the 7 key is stuck. Nothing was spilled on the keyboard, and the key looks fine. When I go to a text box (on a website, or on the login screen of the laptop, or anything), the box fills with 7s. I use Windows 7 Home Premium. There is no error message, and no recent changes were made to the system. 

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hello MapleLeaf99,

Welcome to the HP Forums!

I understand your notebook is typing continuous 7's. Too bad it's not a slot machine or you would be heading to the bank!

If the key is not physically stuck you may want to try reinstalling the drivers for your notebook keyboard. To do this, go to your Start menu and type Device Manager in the search. Open Device Manager and expand the field for Keyboards. Right-click on your keyboard and chose Uninstall. After uninstalling, select the Action menu from the top, and choose Scan for hardware changes. This should detect the missing drivers and reinstall them automatically. IF it'd doesnt, simply restart your computer for Windows to detect and install the keyboard.

If this does not work, try physically removing the keyboard and reseating the connections. Don't worry, it's quite easy. You can find how to do this here: Maintenance and Service Guide, starting on page 43.

If these two suggestions do not resolve the issue, try going through this document for keyboard issues: Notebook Keyboard Troubleshooting (Windows 7)

Let me know if these steps worked for you or if you require more help. Smiley Happy

Great-Deku-Tree
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.