Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Elitebook 8540p
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I installed Unbuntu14 as a dual boot operating system after upgrading to Windows 10.  On bootup, I get a white screen with the HP logo in the middle and a warning message in the upper left corner of the screen that says: "Warning: Machine is not in a committed state!".  I then have to hit the Return key which then takes me to another white screen that says:

"The following product information programmed into the system board is missing or invalid SYSTEM BOARD (OOA) -

Product Name

Product Configuration ID

Product Serial Number

Product SKU

ENTER - Continue Startup

For more iformation, please visit: www.hp.com/go/techcenter/startup

Now, I went to the above website which did not solve my problem.  I then searched the web and found a partial solution at   Windows Faults Fixed: How to fix Product Information Not Valid error on HP G62-A19SA (wintegrity.blogspot.com.au/2012/12/how-to-fix-product-information-not.html)  This solution allowed me to program the above product information (into the BIOS, I assume).  Unfortunately, I could not find the Product Configuration ID for my laptop and I just used 32 bogus hex characters.  This got me past the second white screen with the missing Product information warning.  But I am still getting the first white screen warning me about the machine not being in a committed state. 

How do I find the Product Configuration ID for my laptop?

And how do I fix the first white screen with the warning about the machine not being in a committed state? 

I have an HP Elitebook 8540p.  Product number is NU486AV.  I can provide the serial number but the Forum's tips said I should not make that public.

Thanks,

jbowen28

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hello,

Please contact Hp technical support ,

if the systemboard was replaced,

Branding on the unit is not been done properly ,

so branding needs to be done by Hp certified technician . so contact Hp so that systemboard can be replaced

#hpexpertday

Regards;
Smiley
I am an HP employee
Please click the White Kudos star to say thanks for helping.
Please mark Accept As Solution if my help has solved your problem.
HP Recommended

Hey ,

This is a branding issue. Usually occurs when the system board is being replaced.There is a specific tool which is used to commit and lock the system board once replaced which is not publicly available. 

You can contact HP support in your country and depending on your unit warranty and service regulations , this could be resolved by rebranding the machine.

I am an HP Employee.
HP Recommended

I am sorry.  I do not accept this answer.  Many people are having this problem on this forum, to say the least.  HP needs to provide a free solution to this problem and make it readily available.  Asking people to go to an HP authorized service center and pay up to several hundred dollars to fix this problem every time it occurs, is not a solution.  Fortunately, I was able to find a partial solution on the web that I hope will help other people to at least eliminate the product information warning. 

HP Recommended

Hello ,

This issue occours only when the systemboard was replaced and the banding was'nt done correctly,

and if the unit is under warranty i dont think so there will b any cost involved .

#hpexpertday

Regards;
Smiley
I am an HP employee
Please click the White Kudos star to say thanks for helping.
Please mark Accept As Solution if my help has solved your problem.
HP Recommended

This is a canned response as the 'system board' has not been replaced.  Please reread the original message post and provide specific answers to the two questions in the post.  The laptop is about 5 years old and is out of warranty.  So, going to an HP authorized technician and paying up to hundreds of dollars to service this laptop is not a solution.  Please provide a technical description of the problem and a technical description of a solution so that I can develop a software program to fix this annoying and reoccurring problem.

HP Recommended

Hello jbowen28... I'm sorry you're having this issue with your 8440p.  I'm hoping I can help you out with a more detailed description of your problem.  Please bear with me... you sound like a pretty technical guy, but I can clarify where needed.

What has happened here is that through some mechanism or process, critical product branding and security information in thr SMBIOS tables has been wiped out.  This data is used for a variety of functions during the System Validation and Startup Service Check phases, as well as by operating systems and applications that run later.  Just installing Windows 10 or a Linux distro wouldn't be enough to zap it... something had to happen to wipe it out for whatever reason, and I'm very sorry that this has happened to you.

That being said, Amreen's response was correct in that replacement boards installed by our service technicians are sent out unprogrammed... with the technicians responsible for programming them correctly before leaving the customer site (or before they leave the repair bench).  His response was based on those times where a technician  quite simply... forgets.  It's a bad thing, but that is exactly why we have that check in BIOS.

Now, to the second part of your question: how can you fix it?  The answer is, you really can't.  There are two reasons:

• The configuration ID would be specific to your specific model of 8440p.
  • Changing and committing information at this level requires the system to be unlocked for reprogramming with a digitally signed System Management Command (SMC) file.  This is unique to each system UUID, and is generated at the time of need by HP Service as part of the service call.  Without that file, the information can't be reprogrammed.

jbowen28, I hope this information helps.  All I could suggest to you is to contact HP service and support.  One thing that you might try doing is contact HP Service and Support for your region / country and explain that you don't think you need a new system board, you just need it reprogrammed.  There might still be a cost involved, but it would be less than the cost of a new board.

DISCLAIMER: I am an HP employee, but I am not a spokesperson for HP.

• If you found this information helpful, please take a moment to click on "Accept as Solution".
  • If you'd like to say thanks, please click on the "thumbs up" icon to give me Kudos!

HP Recommended
Sir ap kaha se hain or kis company se hain
HP Recommended

I want to say, this is not true also in my case.  I just reeived the laptop from my company supplier and it did not have a system board repalcement, I just reimiaged the machine.  And I am getting the same message on boot up.

HP Recommended

I had the same problem after I imaged several of my EliteBook 1040G4s for my company.  To allow the image, you have to boot from USB, which means you have to turn off secureboot.  After I did that, I started getting this message.

To fix it, all I did was turn Secure Boot back to "Enabled" in the Secure Boot Options in the BIOS.  

Your mileage may vary.  Hope it helps,

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.