Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi.

I have a Pavilion g6 / Windows 8.1

Here is my problem:

some keys of my keyboard sometimes work, other times not (more precisely, the ones of the last line: Z X C V B N M).

When this happes, I go to DEVICE MANAGER, I click on KEYBOARDS and then on UNINSTALL.

When I restart the PC, the keyboard works properly.

But then, at the end of the day, the problem occurs again, and I have to do the procedure described above once again!

Any help/suggestion would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Francesco

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Have you checked to see if there's an updated keyboard driver?

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05336150 (Link Updated 05/01/2017)

Use the following steps to download an updated keyboard driver from the HP Web site.
  1. If you are presented with a page to enter your product name/number, enter your product name/number.
  2. Select the version of Windows the computer.
  3. Click the Driver - Keyboard, Mouse, and Input Devices link.
  4. Select the keyboard update. For example, HP Multimedia Keyboard/Mouse Driver Update.
    If no update is available, you already have the latest keyboard driver.
  5. Follow the instructions on the download page to download and install the driver.
  6. When done, restart the computer.
------------
Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.

Please click the little thumbs-up dealybopper to the lower right if my reply was helpful to you. Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem. This will help others, too!
HP Recommended

Hi

I have followed the steps you suggested but no new keyboard driver is available on hp support website.

This means the current driver is updated.

My laptop model is Pavilion G6-2217sl.

Any other suggestion would be much appreciated.

thanks

HP Recommended

Check for a BIOS update.

------------

Please click the little thumbs-up dealybopper to the lower right if my reply was helpful to you. Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem. This will help others, too!
HP Recommended

no bios update available.

Is there anything else I could try'

HP Recommended

Yes. Test the keyboard using UEFI diagnostics. http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03467259

If the keyboard test fails, contact HP Support.

------------

HP Recommended

I have already done it.

Keys z x c v b n m and others do not work so I  clicked TEST FAIL.

I have run also antivirus and antimalware but no infection is detected.

What to do now***

*****question mark does not work on my onscreen keyboard***** 

HP Recommended

Contact HP Support. You'll need to get the keyboard replaced, most likely.

Am I understanding correctly that you are also having a problem with your onscreen keyboard???

------------

HP Recommended

Hi.

I have run the UEFI diagnostics a second time and this time the TEST WAS PASSED. All the keys worked.

However , after the restart, a message has appeared on the right corner of the desktop MAINTENANCE IN PROGRESS and the keyboard has stopped working once again. This is really crazy.

I dont think the keyboard needs to be replaced. It seems more a software\driver problem.

Regarding the onscreen keyboard,I confirm I having problems with it as well. Some symbols does not work on it.

This is unbelievable.

HP Recommended

My HP laptop seems to be all out of wack, keyboard is not typing all the letter unless i tap harder on some, and the screen flashes blinking fast, and way under a year old. sometimes shuts off as i am doing stuff on it, and it is not because it is updating. i had att tec. look at it and said it may be a defected one, ???? help, this is my only way to do shopping and communicate with others.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.