Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

same problem..same specs..hp pavilion dm1-4118au..the touchpad freezes and the keyboard stop functioning all at once after a few minutes,.all i can do is shut it down remove the battery and open it again.but the problem still exists. how can we solve this problem?i doubt it is a hardware problem.pls reply anyone from hp experts.thanks.

HP Recommended

is the laptop i just bought defective????!!!it's very annoying..touchpad and keyboard just stop responding all at once every time i use it.pavilion dm1-4118au.

HP Recommended

Hello Mrcgianam,

I understand you state the keyboard and touchpad stop responding at the same time, is that accurate? I will do all I can to help you resolve this issue.

It’s very odd that both components are locking up at same exact time, to me sounds more like the entire computer is locking up making it unusable.  

Lets run some diagnostic test on your hardware to start, steps are below.

1.       Shut down your laptop and locate your escape key.

2.       Once found turn the computer on and hold the escape key.

3.       It should place you on the startup menu, press the F2 key for diagnostic

4.       Depending on the build of your computer there might be 2 different options available.

5.       If you see startup test go ahead and run that test, if you see component test click on it and run each test individually.

If I have been helpful or if you’d like to say thanks you can click the white star under my name to give me Kudos.  I really appreciate it.

Please respond at your earliest convenience with the test results.

Thanks

Clicking the White Kudos star on the left is a way to say Thanks!

Clicking the 'Accept as Solution' button is a way to let others know which steps helped solve the problem!
HP Recommended

Hp pavillion DM1-4020sa have the same problem, if i do anything that strains the notebook like use webcam and media player the keyboard and touchpad no longer function. i can use the wireless key and brightness key on keyboard only. 

if i press power put to sleep then wake it up its fine if i dont strain it again.

Had i known of this issue i would never have bought this litter, i think trading standards need a contact from me as this is clearly a recall prob with hp notebooks and im not a happy customer.

HP Recommended
It has been 4 times that I bring back my notebook hp dm1-4175sa for this keyboard and touchpad freeze problem to repair at PC world. They sent it back to HP and them bring it back to the shop. The third time, they change the heat sink and fan. But it still didn't work and freezed again! It is under warranty so why can't they exchange or give a credit note for it!?!?
Is the problem the motherboard or hardware?
HP Recommended

Same story with my dm1-4100er (Win 7 x64) i bougt 3 month ago.  I've gone through a lot of forums in the net and looks like simultaneous kb and touchpad freezing is "normal" :generic: for HP Pavilions as I found a lot of complaints around the globe!

The most sad thing is none knows the solution for that, even HP doesn't. There are numerous appeals on the problem is back after fixing at HP service.

The only useful thing I found is an advice that rolling HP Power Manager from 1.40 back to 1.30 might help. If anybody could try - please do and share outcomes. What i will do - try to boot under  Linux and see if the problem persists. If yes - no doubts it's a hardware problem.  

HP Recommended

it didn't work!!

HP Recommended

Mrcgianam,

Are you saying you could not run the test I asked?

Please respond back at your earliest convenience.

Thanks

Clicking the White Kudos star on the left is a way to say Thanks!

Clicking the 'Accept as Solution' button is a way to let others know which steps helped solve the problem!
HP Recommended

no..i did what you said. I ran the start up test. memory hard disk passed..then it says press esc to continue..when i press the esc button the keyboard freezes again and all i have to do is press and hold the power button to shut it down..

HP Recommended

Hello,

Do you have a remote Keyboard/Mouse? If so, please connect the remote keyboard/mouse. If the remote keyboard/mouse functions correctly, the laptop's failure is likely hardware; as stated on page 1: This is abnormal behavior for a laptop and indicates a possible hardware issue/failure. Please contact Hp.

I am a :smileyhappy:volunteer!

If it were a rattler. . . . Rattlesnake, that is. . .

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.