Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

The little orange light is lit up on my touchpad - then my pointer stopped working. I do not use a mouse.  I didn't know how to get pointer working again so I shut off computer.  What do I do the next time this happens?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

The laptop orange light LED is indicating the touchpad has been turned off - this is usually a simple on/off toggle that is activated or de-activated by double tapping the corner of the touchpad where the LED is commonly this is the top left corner.

touchpad.png

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

View solution in original post

51 REPLIES 51
HP Recommended

Hi,

The laptop orange light LED is indicating the touchpad has been turned off - this is usually a simple on/off toggle that is activated or de-activated by double tapping the corner of the touchpad where the LED is commonly this is the top left corner.

touchpad.png

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Hi,

I was facing jumping cursor problem (i.e. cursor was jumping all over the screen while typing) on hp pavilion dv6 pc notebook 

product number: XS071EA

which was solved when i installed "Synaptics PS/2 Port Compatible touchpad driver", version: 15.0.17.2

But now i can see a constant orange light on the top left cornor of my touchpad. However touchpad is working perfectly without any problem. What does that mean??

I ve tried tapping that light twice but it is not doing and showing anything. I also have tried pressing fn+spacebar keys but this one is also not working in my laptop...!!!

Any help would highly be appreciated.

Thanks! 

HP Recommended

Hi,

Try a clean install of the Touchpad driver as follows.

First, download the latest Synaptics driver installer on the link below and save it to your Downloads folder.

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp49001-49500/sp49242.exe

Next, open windows Control Panel, open Programs and Features, right click the entry 'Synaptics Pointing Device Driver' and select Uninstall.

When this has completed, restart the notebook.

When windows has fully reloaded, open your Downloads folder, right click the Synaptics installer and select 'Run as Administrator' to start the installation.  When this has completed, restart the notebook again.

As this is a clean installation, you may need to configure certain options again - a guide on this can be found on the following document.

Configuring The ClickPad.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Hi,
Thanks DP-K for the reply.
I've installed ur posted driver after uninstalling the previous one in a way u said.
Now I cannot see any light (not orange nor green or anyother) on my touchpad....but touchpad is working fine.
Do I still need to configure anything of touchpad?

Is it necessary to have a green or white light on touchpad?
Regards,

HP Recommended
Hi, I have problem with my touchpad HP Pavilion DV2,
Light of my touchpad still turn on with white light, but not working, please help me.
HP Recommended

Hey sublikun, 

I'm sorry you're running into this issue with your touchpad. Do you have or have you recently had an external USB mouse plugged in? If so, unplug it, restart and test the touchpad. 

If not, perform a Hard Reset by

1. Shutdown 

2. Remove battery, power cord and all peripherals

3. Hold Power button for 15 seconds and release

4. Reinsert battery and power cord and turn the computer on

5. Test the touchpad. 

If a hard reset doesn't work, uninstall the ALPS or Synaptics Touchpad driver and Restart the computer.

1. Click the Start button

2. Type 'device' 

3. Click Device Manager

4. Expand Mice and Other Pointing Devices

5. Double-click on the mouse driver (could be ALPS or Synaptics) to open Properties

6. Click the Driver tab

7. Click the Uninstall button 

8. Restart the computer and test the touchpad.

Let me know if either of those steps work or if you have any questions 🙂

HP Recommended

Any luck with your issue, sublikun?

HP Recommended

HI, I HAD A SAME PROBLEM FROM LAST FEW WEEKS.BUT I SOLVED THIS TODAY.WHAT YOU CAN DO IS JUST GO TO START BUTTON ,TYPE  CHANGE MOUSE SETTINGS. THEN CLICK ON DEVICE SETTING,AND LOOK YOUR DEVICE CLICK ON IT THEN ENABLE IT AND APPLY THEN OK.THAT'S ALL , LIGHT WILL GO OFF, AND MOUSE WILL START WORKING. I HOPE IT WILL HELP YOU. THANKS. AND GOOD LUCK.

HP Recommended

My mouse pad is not working.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.