Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Recommended Solution: Please visit the HP Techcenter To Resolve Diagnostic Errors that Appear During Startup

www.hp.com/go/techcenter/startup

When I turn the laptop on, it goes to a grey screen, I can get to the log on sceen but it takes me back to a blank grey screen again.   I managed to get into the "fault finding sceen" and ran a few tests, I got the following results from those tests:

Start Up:   Mem Test:  Failed

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended
That indicates the RAM has failed. Sorry.

This could be one stick of memory that has failed or multiple sticks of RAM have failed if there is more than one. If it is only one stick of RAM, then that one will need to be replaced. Most notebooks have what is called shared video memory. This means the same RAM that serves as a quick working space for notebooks also renders the video to be displayed which can show as a video issue.

What model is the notebook exactly? I may be able to recommend some RAM to give an idea of how much that would cost if it is out of warranty.

If it is in warranty, contact HP to have it serviced.

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
HP Recommended

I have problems with starten the pc dont start up?

HP Recommended

Hello bartba.  I understand you're unable to start your computer.

What notebook do you have?  This document can show you how to identify it by the product number.

Are you getting an error message when you try to boot the notebook?  What is it?

A good place to begin is to test both your hard drive and memory.  This document can show you how to run the diagnostic.  Make sure to post the result.

I'll keep an eye out for your response.  I hope you have a great day!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please click the white star under my name to give me Kudos as a way to say "Thanks!"

Click the "Accept as Solution" button if I resolve your issue.

HP Recommended

Can you please give me some ideas of how much the RAM would cost for a HP 635 ?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.