1680 x 1050 Resolution (4118 Views)
Tutor
Ajbrunner14
Message 1 of 8 (4,118 Views)

1680 x 1050 Resolution

just recently received my Pavillion dv7-1025nr back from HP that they so graciously cleaned the dust out of my screen. Fine and dandy. I got it back and the resolution is 1440 x 900. I said fine, I will just change it back, no big deal right? Well the problem is that I can not go to the 1680x 1050 resolution I previously had because it is not listed. So my question is....what do I do?
Dean
Huffer
Message 2 of 8 (4,099 Views)

Re: 1680 x 1050 Resolution

Seems that maybe they actually replaced the display with a lower res model. I would call and complain but to be honest if the new screen is satisfactory you might just want to leave well enough alone.
Tutor
Ajbrunner14
Message 3 of 8 (4,082 Views)

When I got my computer back, they filled out a paper and they checked Repair, not replacement....and the screen looks exactly the same as the one before I sent in, just dust free. Is it possible to just install some drivers so I can get the 1680 x 1050 resolution back? It's not that big of a deal but its just awkward looking and more pixelated compared to what it was before.
Master's Graduate
samschilling
Message 4 of 8 (4,078 Views)

There are a couple of things.

One, download the latest driver for you system by doing a search on HP.com for your product number and choosing software and driver downloads

Second, check both the Windows display options, along with the control panel for you GPU.  Some of the GPU control panels have more options than their Windows counterparts.

Tutor
Ajbrunner14
Message 5 of 8 (4,066 Views)

I tried updating the drivers, and I tried the GPU Control Panel as well.....nothing. Anymore suggestions because the next step is to complain about the screen to HP. Is it a big deal? Not really but I paid for a laptop and I want its full features. After their repair, I am not getting the full potential of the laptop.
Student
rickdotrick
Message 6 of 8 (3,441 Views)

I purchased this computer from ebay and I'm having the same issue with the display.  It doesn't give an option for 1680 x 1050.  Were you able to resolve this problem?

Thanks.

Tutor
Ajbrunner14
Message 7 of 8 (3,433 Views)

I ended up sending it in to HP since it was within a year of purchase. I have had so many problems with HP, mainly just the screen, that once I get enough money, I will be purchasing another brand of computer. It's just pathetic how many times I have sent this stupid thing in.
Teacher
ReganDomingo
Message 8 of 8 (3,433 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi Ajbrunner14

This is not a hardware problem, it is a software restriction and is caused by the monitor driver.

Try the following,

VISTA OS

-click on the 'START' button and then on the 'CONTROL PANEL'

-double click on the 'DEVICE MANAGER' tab

-now you are in the 'DEVICE MANAGER' window that list all your hardware.

-navigate to 'MONITORS' and expand.

-what monitor do you have loaded?

-Generic Non-PnP Monitor perhaps?

-Anyway...double click on the monitor device listed to enter the device properties window.

-click the 'DRIVER' tab and then the 'UPDATE DRIVER' button.

-do not check on-line or do a automatic searc for a driver

-choose 'BROWSE MY COMPUTER FOR DRIVER SOFTWARE'

-choose 'LET ME PICK FROM A LIST OF DEVICE DRIVERS ON MY COMPUTER'

-uncheck the 'SHOW COMPATIBLE HARDWARE' tick

-now you have a list of all monitor drivers

-select 'STANDARD MONITOR TYPES' on the left column and choose any driver on the right that will satisfy your needs.

-try the 'GENERIC PnP MONITOR' or the 'DEFAULT MONITOR'  or 'LAPTOP 0000x0000' etc.

-restart your PC

-now check if you can extend your slider to a larger than 1440x900 resolution.

I am unable to try this on my PC before letting you know if it will work or not because my GPU is not working and I cannot select any monitors. I tried to activate my GPU just to test this fix but no luck....defect NVIDIA GPU chip. :smileysad:

Hope this works.

Let me know if you succeed.

Message Edited by ReganDomingo on 01-10-2009 02:27 AM
Regan Domingo

Click on the golden kudos! star to show your appreciation for the information; Click on the Solution? if I solved your confusion
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation